What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Will We Face Prior to the Rapture?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Staff member
We study eschatology with much interest because we want to know what's coming and we want to understand what's happening in the world around us. The remnant of Believers who believe correctly that the Rapture will occur at some point before the antichrist is revealed, the antichrist is revealed when he makes a 7 year covenant with Israel which marks the beginning of the 7 year period known as Tribulation, and Jesus Christ returns at the end of Tribulation after Israel nationally repents; those Believers are in a position to understand the insane things that are happening in the world today. They're able to watch the machinations of the world being pushed into a global govmint system. Will this one world govmint exist prior to the Rapture?

The Bible tells us that the Rapture occurs at some point before the beginning of Tribulation. There are several Scripture passages that are relevant to the timing of the Rapture, but I'll quote just Rev 3:10 here: "Because you did keep the word of my patience, I also will keep you from the hour of trial, that hour which is to come upon the whole world, to try them that dwell upon the earth." That hour, of course, is the Tribulation period.

So, what may the Church see before it is raptured? Clearly, the Church may experience everything that occurs prior to the beginning of Tribulation. The answer to that question is found in Daniel 7:23-27, where the timeline of a few things are laid out for us.

It appears that the order of things to come is a one world govmint will be officially established, followed by 10 kingdoms or Regions w/ govmints. After the OWG is established and the 10 regions identified, another king will rise up (the antichrist) after the 10. This one, the antichrist will subdue 3 of the 10 kings in order to firm up dominion over the entire world.

So:

1st: OWG
2nd: Heads (kings) over 10 regions
3rd: antichrist becomes head of the OWG
4th: war to consolidate power over the 10 regions (3 kings subdued)

Daniel 7:23-27

23 “Thus he said: ‘The fourth beast will be a fourth kingdom on the earth, which will be different from all the other kingdoms and will devour the whole earth and tread it down and crush it. 24 As for the ten horns, out of this kingdom ten kings will arise; and another will arise after them, and he will be different from the previous ones and will subdue three kings. 25 He will speak out against the Most High and wear down the saints of the Highest One, and he will intend to make alterations in times and in law; and they will be given into his hand for a time, times, and half a time. 26 But the court will sit for judgment, and his dominion will be taken away, annihilated and destroyed forever. 27 Then the sovereignty, the dominion and the greatness of all the kingdoms under the whole heaven will be given to the people of the saints of the Highest One; His kingdom will be an everlasting kingdom, and all the dominions will serve and obey Him.’

Now I'm looking in Footsteps of the Messiah because I want to see what Arnold has to say about these verses.

(v. 23) On page 35 he indicates that the fourth kingdom devours (or rules) over the whole earth, something that no previous kingdom has ever achieved. For those previous 3 kingdoms, much of the earth wasn't even known.

(v. 23-24) On page 125-127 He calls the development of the OWG the 5th birth pang leading up to Tribulation. Right now the world is divided up into the western and eastern powers. Arnold expects the eastern powers to collapse, facilitating the move to the OWG. The exact form of government or how it is achieved, isn't known, but it is for sure that it will come to pass. He says the 6th birth pang is the division of the OWG into 10 kingdoms with a ruler for each one. Beginning before Tribulation, the 10 kingdom stage will continue into the middle of Tribulation. Following the division of the world into 10 kingdoms, the antichrist will begin his rise to power. 2 Thes 2:1-3 indicates the antichrist will be revealed at some point after the 10 kingdoms are established. Arnold calls this the 7th birth pang before Tribulation. Because Tribulation begins with the signing of the seven-year covenant between Israel and the antichrist, it is necessary for the antichrist to have sufficient political power to sign such a covenant.

(v. 24) On page 244-245 Arnold seems to indicate that the antichrist's gaining political control over the world could take some time. Rev 17:12-13 is useful to estimate the chronology of when the 3 kings will be put down, and it doesn't appear to be towards the beginning of Tribulation or before Tribulation begins. Arnold says that the antichrist eventually subdues the entire world politically with the exception of Jordan.

It is possible then that the Church could see the formation of the OWG in whatever form it ultimately takes, and the division of the world into 10 kingdoms before we are raptured, but the rapture is imminent and can happen anytime between now and prior to the official beginning of Tribulation.

Given that we only know that the Rapture occurs before Tribulation begins, and we don’t know how long of a gap in time there will be between the Rapture and the beginning of Tribulation, we can’t know for sure how much the Church will see with regards to the development of the One World Govmint.

Additionally, we don’t know for how long the One World Govmint will exist prior to the world being divided up into 10 regions ostensibly ruled by 10 kings. So, there is at least the possibilty that the Church could be here under a One World Govmint for quite some time... or no time at all.

What we do know and can understand from current events in the world is that there are many peoples and organizations making a great effort to establish a sovereign global govmint, and that their efforts will likely lead to the end times One World Govmint.

Additionally, we see the world mocking the natural laws that our Creator gave us. We see the world increasingly at war with their Creator. We see the Church increasingly villified along with the Word of God. It seems very much that we are nearing the end of this era.

How much the Church sees and how much the Church is persecuted globally before it is Raptured is unknown, but we know that it is possible that the Church will be here to witness the formation of a sovereign One World Govmint along with its division into 10 Kingdoms.

Should we, the Body of Christ, worry about what we might face? No. Firstly, God did not give us a spirit of fear (2 Timothy 1:7), and secondly, if/when we find our individual selves actively persecuted, know this: “When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say.” (Luke 12:11-12) The Holy Spirit will both comfort you and provide you with any needed words. Maranatha!

Excellent post TT. It was when I read Footsteps that I realized we could feasibly be here for the OWG and division of Ten. Quite sobering.

Now, I think it’s going to take a pretty dramatic event to lead the nations to participate in the OWG. We all can speculate on what that event will be. And we hope that it’s the rapture. But there is nothing in scripture that points to the rapture as that event.

If I see the OWG form, my fear will be put aside for joy, because I will have my flying suit on! Talk about fulfilled prophecy!!!

As for how long we are here and how much we will have to endure, God is in control…complete control and if I die, I die and get to be with the Lord anyway.

We should all watch expectantly and with a sense of awe with what we are witnessing, as well as a release of our expectations without letting go of that blessed hope.

We should all watch expectantly and with a sense of awe with what we are witnessing, as well as a release of our expectations without letting go of that blessed hope.

We definitely live in exciting times. On the one hand you have an increasingly deluded world population. On the other hand, you have a small remnant of Believing Watchers who have a good understanding of the times we're living in.

The 9 Sequential Birth Pangs Leading up to Tribulation

1. The 1st birth pang signifying the last days of the age have begun was to be a worldwide conflict with famines and earthquakes. This was fulfilled in 1914-18 during WWI and the following WWII. See Matthew 24:1-8. During the years 1918-19, a pestilence killed 23 million people. In 1920 the great Chinese famine occurred, and in 1921 the great Russian famine. In the 19th century there were 2119 earthquakes, more than any century prior. In the 20th century so far there has been over 900,000 earthquakes.

2. The restoration of the Jewish state is the 2nd birth pang. See Ezekiel 36:22-24, Isaiah 11:11-12, Zephaniah 2:1-2, Ezekiel 20:33-38, Ezekiel 22: 17-22

3. The 6 Day war brought about the 3rd birth pang which is Israeli control of old Jerusalem.

4. The 4th birth pang is the Ezekiel 38-39 invasion of Israel. See Footsteps of the Messiah pages 106-125. The author clearly sees the invasion occurring before Tribulation begins.

5. The 5th birth pang leading up to Tribulation is the development of a one world government. See Daniel 7:23

6. The 6th birth pang will be the division of the one world empire into ten kingdoms with 10 kings who will rule the world. See Daniel 7:24a.

7. The rise to power of the antichrist is the 7th birth pang. See Daniel 7:24b, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3. Before Tribulation begins, the antichrist will have needed to have acquired sufficient political power to sign the covenant with Israel.

8. The 8th birth pang will be a period of peace and false security which will be shattered by Tribulation. See 1 Thessalonians 5:1-3

9. The 9th birth pang is the signing of the 7 year covenant between Israel and the antichrist. This marks the beginning of Tribulation.

The author believes these events happen in the order presented and identifies them as birth pangs leading up to Tribulation. Arnold Fruchtenbaum, Footsteps of the Messiah, published 2004 by Ariel Ministries. Content of this post derived from Chapter 4, The Sequence of Pre-Tribulational Events. See the book for greater detail.

Along this timeline the latest that the Church will be raptured is prior to the 9th and last birth pang.

So, it appears Arnold Fruchtenbaum believes the antichrist may possibly be revealed prior to the Rapture. Am I wrong or does this seem to be at odds with 2 Thessalonians 2:8?

His revealing will come with the signing of the covenant, but Fruchtenbaum indicates that as the antichrist rises in political power, it may be possible for some to recognize the likely person. I don't have the book with me but I think he mentioned recognizing a rising political star who's name adds up to 666.

So, it appears Arnold Fruchtenbaum believes the antichrist may possibly be revealed prior to the Rapture. Am I wrong or does this seem to be at odds with 2 Thessalonians 2:8?
In order for the AC to appear, I believe the Restrainer has to be removed (as Thess. chapter 2 indicates). And there is only one who can be the Restrainer, and if He is removed, so are we.

The restrainer (restraint) is removed prior to the "official coming out" of the antichrist which is at the signing of the covenant which marks the beginning of Tribulation. Prior to that moment the person who will be the antichrist must be rising to a position where he's the one who will be in a position to be the person to sign that agreement.

The Rapture can happen anytime between now and just before the covenant is made.

Based on precedent in Genesis, since Jesus' righteousness is imputed to every Christian, I have confidence we won't face sudden and utter destruction while we're still here.

32 And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.
Genesis 18:32, KJV

1 Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
2 Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.
3 When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.
4 For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah.
5 I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.
Psalm 32:1-5, KJV

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14, KJV

I'm back home and looking at Arnold's verbage. It does appear he leans toward the antichrist being revealed before the signing of the covenant. Given 2 Thes 2:8 he won't be officially revealed by my understanding. Of course, the world isn't looking for an antichrist, they're looking for a savior. The antichrist by necessity has to be a rising star in the global govmint so I can see where either Watchers within the Church or those who have been saved after the Rapture might recognize who the antichrist is, or at least have a pretty good educated guess, but Biblically speaking, I personally see the signing of the covenant as the moment that the antichrist is officially revealed for those alive who might wonder who the antichrist is.

Based on precedent in Genesis, since Jesus' righteousness is imputed to every Christian, I have confidence we won't face sudden and utter destruction while we're still here.

What exactly are you saying here? That we'll miss Tribulation? We know that to be true. Something else then? Christians across time have faced the most horrible of things. We know that Christians villages in Africa have recently been over run by evil people who burn the village, rape, pillage and murder the men, women, and children of the village. Christians were not spared WWI or WWII. They weren't spared the effects of pestilence and famine in places where that has occurred.

Sorry, I just don't know what you're getting at with that reply and I'm curious.

I wonder if the Rapture, signing of the covenant, and first animal sacrifice in the Third Temple happen simultaneously.

or maybe the Rapture, fatal head wound to the AC (or maybe his counterfeit resurrection), and the first animal sacrifice in the Third Temple happen simultaneously. Wonder if signing the covenant incites assassination

I figure the fatal head wound or (more probably his counterfeit resurrection) will be what reveals the AC's identity, and it'll (probably) be the new Christians, who came to faith when (or as a result of) the Rapture takes away the old Christians, that recognize him for who he is. Although it could be the 144,000, who tell the world (or both groups do)

I figure the fatal head wound or (more probably his counterfeit resurrection) will be what reveals the AC's identity,

I don't think I've every heard that before, that the reveal would be when he receives the fatal head wound. I do need to remember that my pre-conceived notions shouldn't be allowed to cloud whatever the Truth is. Since it is the anti-christ who makes the covenant with Israel, and that which signals the start of Tribulation, how could that not be the reveal of the antichrist?

I don't think I've every heard that before, that the reveal would be when he receives the fatal head wound. I do need to remember that my pre-conceived notions shouldn't be allowed to cloud whatever the Truth is. Since it is the anti-christ who makes the covenant with Israel, and that which signals the start of Tribulation, how could that not be the reveal of the antichrist?

I'm thinking everything happens at the same time (other than the counterfeit resurrection 3 days later), but I think the counterfeit resurrection is the big public announcement/confirmation of who he is.

I have no Biblical proof of this, just that it makes sense to me, and I could be very wrong. I don't think God will allow the first Sacrifice in the Third Temple until at or after the Rapture. Too confusing and obfuscating the truth of The Gospel and how sins are forgiven and remitted for Salvation to have both the current Church Age and Hebrew Sacrifice going on at the same time. God has always kept The Gospel simple so a little child could understand and come to saving faith :)

FWIW, the treaty could be signed and revealed few days later due to "security concerns." All sorts of permutations . . .

I'm wondering about AC "confirming" the treaty . . . could it be that he signs/confirms/somehow guarantees the Abrahamic Accords that have previously been signed by many countries by that time? Supposedly peace and safety from the Abrahamic Accords and people already say this about the AA.

27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

I'm thinking everything happens at the same time (other than the counterfeit resurrection 3 days later), but I think the counterfeit resurrection is the big public announcement/confirmation of who he is.

I have no Biblical proof of this, just that it makes sense to me, and I could be very wrong. I don't think God will allow the first Sacrifice in the Third Temple until at or after the Rapture. Too confusing and obfuscating the truth of The Gospel and how sins are forgiven and remitted for Salvation to have both the current Church Age and Hebrew Sacrifice going on at the same time. God has always kept The Gospel simple so a little child could understand and come to saving faith :)

FWIW, the treaty could be signed and revealed few days later due to "security concerns." All sorts of permutations . . .

If you were sitting on my porch and said the above, while I topped off your mint tulip I'd probably say what in tarnation are you thinking?, with a smile in my eyes... but know that I respect your thoughts. There are so many ideas that are quite clear in our individual heads but that are vastly different.

I hope someday you decide to pass through Cheyenne and stay with us a spell. I'll keep your mint tulip or whatever you're drinking topped off. I'll have a diet pepsi, most likely...

I'm wondering about AC "confirming" the treaty . . . could it be that he signs/confirms/somehow guarantees the Abrahamic Accords that have previously been signed by many countries by that time? Supposedly peace and safety from the Abrahamic Accords and people already say this about the AA.

27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.
I've pondered that as well, that maybe the antichrist confirms a treaty that's already there. If Eze 38-39 happens before Tribulation, Israel may actually be something of a world power by the time the dust settles from that... The actual treaty may be a whole different animal than the current Abrahamic Accords. The treaty may be as much for the rest of the world as for Israel, a commitment of peace from both sides.

Back