What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone listen to this sermon and help me out?

I just realized something embarrassing.

I was re-listening to the sermon. Because I hadn't listened since I was in the actual service-- I think I must have tuned out the last half of the service for some reason or another.
I missed a lot of stuff he was saying about calling sin, sin and calling us to a better walk.
I feel badly. 🫣

:hug: Amethyst, you were uneasy about this pastor's teaching and so you were coming back with a high degree of distrust. Obviously there was some discernment alerts going on for you for awhile and the fact that the Elders addressed helping him get on the right track gives support to your concerns.

When trust is broken or.....eroded, it's understandable that you felt wary and not wanting to expose yourself too much to a teacher who in the past has made you feel uneasy in regards to teaching. We are told in God's Word to test and be careful. So, it makes sense you might not be able to finish or would be cautious.

And if you still are unable right now that's ok, you can ask God to help with this in time.

Keep praying for him and this church. It was a very loving thing these Elders did in coming alongside him to help him. I know of one excellent pastor, fairly known in America who also started down a liberal path and good, Godly people faithfully helped their beloved brother in Christ back on the path of Godly teaching and for the rest of his life greatly impacted many people for good.

Perhaps God's showing you, in answer to your concerns and prayers that He's working. :) I'm praying and also for you that God helps you to have peaceful resolution in your heart with this, I know this kind of situation can be difficult. :hug:

:hug: Amethyst, you were uneasy about this pastor's teaching and so you were coming back with a high degree of distrust. Obviously there was some discernment alerts going on for you for awhile and the fact that the Elders addressed helping him get on the right track gives support to your concerns.
I did get lots of good out of his sermon, so thanks for posting it; yet I agree with EL that you need to understand that your discernment bells really matter.

I attended a Calvary Chapel in a nearby town for four or five years, and loved it, yet I sensed God calling me away. That was 2017 and I've been in a little Baptist church since. It took some time for me to understand. I happened to catch a sermon by Tony Evans. He addressed authority and submission in a very healthy way. What God was moving me away from was a pastor who had formerly led a rock n roll band - not that his past was a problem, but I came from a background where my former boyfriend and I followed several bands and partied with them. Little did I realize that this was not a healthy shepherd/sheep relationship. Now I've got a pastor and our relationship is based on God's Word, our mutual love for it, and mutual respect.

And here I go on 6 to 8 hour driving work trips all the time listening the entire way to Andy Woods on YT through the stereo speakers. I've also done that with Salus and Fructenbaum; and others.
Wow. I really enjoy his teaching, and have learned a lot from him over the years. I am used to his delivery but there is no way I could drive several hours listening to him. Now if it was Jack Hibbs, no problem for long drives.

Wow. I really enjoy his teaching, and have learned a lot from him over the years. I am used to his delivery but there is no way I could drive several hours listening to him. Now if it was Jack Hibbs, no problem for long drives.
Now Jack Hibbs, I could never listen to. He talks far to fast for me.
But since I discovered the button to slow him down, it's better.
Still, mostly I like his writings. (And his Telegram channel, good stuff).

Now Jack Hibbs, I could never listen to. He talks far to fast for me.
But since I discovered the button to slow him down, it's better.
Still, mostly I like his writings. (And his Telegram channel, good stuff).
Its great how we all prefer the message delivered in different styles of speech. What we all agree on is as long as the Word delivered is biblical, thats all that matters, and that Andy C is always right…. :lol:

Amethyst, you were uneasy about this pastor's teaching and so you were coming back with a high degree of distrust.
I think you're right.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention (y)

Also, I still had that bad taste in my mouth from them just telling everyone to sit back and watch The Chronicles of Narnia instead of a sermon.

I need to keep this in mind when I start over-analyzing too much.

And it's a major problem with how many Christians deal with others with whom they disagree and especially with the lost who live in open sin. There are too many Pharisees in our midst; and I don't have to look further than a mirror to see one of them.

It is so easy to apply grace to our own weaknesses, and judgment to others' weaknesses. And how often, like Job, do we think our obedience to God earns us something? The fact is none of us deserves anything other than judgment. And as Scripture says, even the salvation we enjoy is not of ourselves. We didn't earn it or deserve it. Therefore, how humble should we be, even when living up to the standard of the Word of God?
First I absolutely agree with your assessment, for sure. Why i struggle with people like Paul Washer and others who are constantly on this seemingly condemning bandwagon instead of what God said: "I have not come to condemn the world but to save."

I have a question about this for ya -- kind of unrelated to this sermon but what you have said. This is hypothetical but it also isn't. What is the proper way to handle (in particular with mega churches) a culture developing among attendees in their 20's or so who come to church every sunday, maybe saved, maybe not, and then are periodically posting pictures on social media of their drunk party weekends.
In my mind, this can affect other members of the church who are impressionable. What would Paul's way of handling this be?

First I absolutely agree with your assessment, for sure. Why i struggle with people like Paul Washer and others who are constantly on this seemingly condemning bandwagon instead of what God said: "I have not come to condemn the world but to save."

I have a question about this for ya -- kind of unrelated to this sermon but what you have said. This is hypothetical but it also isn't. What is the proper way to handle (in particular with mega churches) a culture developing among attendees in their 20's or so who come to church every sunday, maybe saved, maybe not, and then are periodically posting pictures on social media of their drunk party weekends.
In my mind, this can affect other members of the church who are impressionable. What would Paul's way of handling this be?
I believe he would be extremely direct. Strict. Just as he was regarding the Corinthian church seemingly treating sexual immorality as no big deal.

I believe he would be extremely direct. Strict. Just as he was regarding the Corinthian church seemingly treating sexual immorality as no big deal.
How is it handled when they are not exactly members with contact info or much involvement in the church itself?
Or, if it is addressed and it is continued.
Do you just exercise grace, or what?

Because in the past I have thought to myself, well I cant say anything, I struggle with this sin or that sin, who am I to say?

As a pastor I would deal with it from the pulpit. I would trust the Holy Spirit to guide me, teaching from Scripture as to the absolute importance of Christian behavior. What fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial??

Back