What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone listen to this sermon and help me out?

Amethyst

† He hath shed his own blood for my soul
I am not very good at explaining to others why a sermon doesnt sit right with me, unless preacher explicitly says something really wrong.
I went back to a larger church in my area yesterday to see if the sermons were any different and I tried telling my sister why I just couldnt feel comfortable sitting under him or even growing.

Preaching starts at around 29:00 and of course you can skim through it as needed.
Tell me all that you find not good about it so I can articulate it better.
Or maybe if I am too judgy and off-base?

Please? 😚

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irHBtQwvoD0

I listened to the entire sermon. Kyle idleman is a solid preacher. In fact he often speaks to pastors. I have benefited from his insights in the past. So I was rolling with him as he spoke of the "they" in Romans 1. But then he began speaking of the "you" --in other words he was referring to me-- in Romans 2, and I was like "Hey, wait a minute, your technically correct, but because of Christ you are wrong." In other words I became defensive, ready to argue hermeneutics ... and almost totally missing his point. He was right. And as he opened up the development of Paul's argument from chapter 1 to chapter 3, I saw the brilliance of that argument ... for the first time in that particular passage.

We and they are in the same circle. Until we realize that fact, we will never truly appreciate what God has done for us and be able to approach the unsaved sinner in the very same way God approached us in our sin-- with gentleness, grace and compassion. The heat is the message that Kyle idleman brought out of the first three chapters of Romans is the one at the heart of my often-preacher sermons on Job. Until we see ourselves in the same light as God sees all humans we will always think that by our behavior we have made ourselves different than they are, that we deserve something from God as a reward for our "goodness" that has made us different from " them".

The fact is we are ALL sinners. But --only by the grace of God-- some of us are sinners saved by grace and are now called saints. Sadly we sometimes begin thinking we are saints and as such deserving of special treatment when the promise given to us is already the special treatment...one we truly do not deserve.

Kyle Idleman's message from God is the message of Romans 12:3 and Ephesians 4:2. When we keep that humility of self-awareness, we see ourselves as needy of others and therefore passionately share the same gospel with them that has saved us... a gospel that none of us deserves in any way but that God freely gives us when we see our need and cry out to Him. We truly are "they", and no better than them in any way.

I listened to the entire sermon. Kyle idleman is a solid preacher.
First, thank you for listening.

He was recently "sent away" by the church elders for about 6 months. Evidently, in a bid to stop him from becoming even more liberal than he was becoming. I was told all this recently by someone who attends. When he wished to come back, they said the elders were satisfied with what he had relearned on his 6 month "sabbatical." In other words, came back to his more conservative roots.

The last time I went there was in Christmas 2020, when instead of a sermon they told everyone to sit back and watch the Chronicle of Narnia. I left midway and didnt go back since. I couldve watched that in my PJ's at home.

But I went back bc this acquaintance told me what I said above, to see if anything changed.

I feel like this is a very common message today in churches, personally :noidea: Judge not, lest ye be judged.

I'm really not a fan of how he dressed that bomber jacket. Tsk. With that gripe aside, I do agree about the self-righteousness seems to come from a lack of self-awareness bit. I've seen a lot of finger-waggers with at least a few femur bones and a ribcage of a skeleton in their closet. At least. I find it hard to keep any sort of company with that type. It's basically an allergy at this point, if not an intolerance. I'll have to watch the rest when I get home, for whatever that's worth. Seems Adrian has it covered.

And it's a major problem with how many Christians deal with others with whom they disagree and especially with the lost who live in open sin. There are too many Pharisees in our midst; and I don't have to look further than a mirror to see one of them.

It is so easy to apply grace to our own weaknesses, and judgment to others' weaknesses. And how often, like Job, do we think our obedience to God earns us something? The fact is none of us deserves anything other than judgment. And as Scripture says, even the salvation we enjoy is not of ourselves. We didn't earn it or deserve it. Therefore, how humble should we be, even when living up to the standard of the Word of God?

And it's a major problem with how many Christians deal with others with whom they disagree and especially with the lost who live in open sin. There are too many Pharisees in our midst; and I don't have to look further than a mirror to see one of them.

It is so easy to apply grace to our own weaknesses, and judgment to others' weaknesses. And how often, like Job, do we think our obedience to God earns us something? The fact is none of us deserves anything other than judgment. And as Scripture says, even the salvation we enjoy is not of ourselves. We didn't earn it or deserve it. Therefore, how humble should we be, even when living up to the standard of the Word of God?
Maybe what I was sensing from the sermon is that this was "milk". I don't know, I feel like this is such a basic thing that scripture teaches over and over. Maybe I wouldve liked more scripture references in his points he was getting across. As in, theres many refernces in other books to the points he was making, why isnt he bringing them up?
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.

Maybe I have just been spoiled by expository preachers who like to recite many different scriptures to transform thoughts, rahter than just an argument with their own words.
It really had nothing to do with contention with his main point.

But that is why I posted this in the first place. If I cant articulate or pinpoint something, then I need others to see what I can't see. :thankyou:

Maybe what I was sensing from the sermon is that this was "milk". I don't know, I feel like this is such a basic thing that scripture teaches over and over.
What could be, and often times is - To you it was “milk” because you study scripture on a regular basis. Many other members sitting through this sermon would be awed by how “deep” it was, because they have not yet matured in their walk.

Those who consistently study scripture are the exception, not the norm.

What could be, and often times is - To you it was “milk” because you study scripture on a regular basis. Many other members sitting through this sermon would be awed by how “deep” it was, because they have not yet matured in their walk.

Those who consistently study scripture are the exception, not the norm.
You don’t feel like that’s a very basic scripture teaching?
“Judge not” is said everywhere you turn from what I see.

Thank you all for your perspective. I'm going to pray about this. :thankyou:
It could simply be his hipster preaching style that puts me off for all i know.

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.
Im not sure what “hipster style” is, but I thought his deliverance was excellent. I also had no issues with his attire.

Too many Pastors stand behind the podium, talking in montone, losing half the audience a few minutes into the message.

Im not sure what “hipster style” is, but I thought his deliverance was excellent. I also had no issues with his attire.

Too many Pastors stand behind the podium, talking in montone, losing half the audience a few minutes into the message.
No I dont care how a pastor dresses at all.
Not what I meant by hipster lol

Many people have said monotone describes Andy Woods. I like him, though.

Judge not was a very small part of the sermon I just watched. The title says it all “Self Righteousness vs Self Aware - very appropriate name for his message.

I really enjoyed it and learned from it. Definitely made me think.

Judge not was just me making it succinct.

Anyway thanks for your contribution. (y)

This church has a history of not really exhorting people to walk in the light. But just fluffy sermons. Why my friend was telling me that he was sent away and came back.
It's why I have some history with them and I am wary of them.

Back