What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone listen to this sermon and help me out?

I am not very good at explaining to others why a sermon doesnt sit right with me, unless preacher explicitly says something really wrong.
I went back to a larger church in my area yesterday to see if the sermons were any different and I tried telling my sister why I just couldnt feel comfortable sitting under him or even growing.

Preaching starts at around 29:00 and of course you can skim through it as needed.
Tell me all that you find not good about it so I can articulate it better.
Or maybe if I am too judgy and off-base?

Please? 😚

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irHBtQwvoD0
Thanks for posting this. Because I watch so many videos of sermons on a daily basis, its rare I take the extra time to watch a link posted on this forum. Im glad I took the time today!

It depends for me.
Some pastors, all they do is tell personal stories.
Yes, that distracts from the message.

For 4 years after I left the Marines, I taught in a school where we teach others how to lead a discussion, or give a presentation. Old habits never die and at times, 13 years after I left that job, I still score Pastors on their presentation in my head…. :)

When he wished to come back, they said the elders were satisfied with what he had relearned on his 6 month "sabbatical." In other words, came back to his more conservative roots.

This peaked my interest in that I really like that these Elders worked with this pastor to give him time and place to re-think and study God's Word more closely. That really shows the grace of these Elders along with it seems wisdom in protective care of the congregation. I'll be praying that God would guard this pastor to help him to fulfill God's calling in his life and that he'll be spiritually protected in following God's word above all else for his blessing and good of the congregation. :pray:

On another note I'm enjoying hearing about other good pastors in this thread, when I have some time I hope to check them out.

In regards to Andy Woods and his detailed sermons. I have so appreciated how he's taught, in particular with the assurance of salvation for the believer and how the bible showcases this. In my life God has used him that's helped with some spiritual healing and greater understanding of God's Word and I'm so appreciative of this. I get that for some people how he presents may not be as impactful as perhaps a different style of someone else (goodness, I know with my ADD family they would probably really struggle :lol: and people learn in variously different ways ). In fact I thought of some of my online friends with affection when listening to one of his sermons on a plane ride and actually had nodded off for the first time! Of course, we were flying during the time my body would normally have been asleep, but when I woke up and realized I missed almost all of a sermon I kind of smiled remembering others sharing the same dilemma.

This peaked my interest in that I really like that these Elders worked with this pastor to give him time and place to re-think and study God's Word more closely. That really shows the grace of these Elders along with it seems wisdom in protective care of the congregation. I'll be praying that God would guard this pastor to help him to fulfill God's calling in his life and that he'll be spiritually protected in following God's word above all else for his blessing and good of the congregation. :pray:
I just watched a video on youtube of him talking to another pastor about what he learned while away. He keeps saying "3 months" so Im not sure of the discrepancy with what my friend said 6 months vs what he said. He says he told the elders he needed a break, for a month. And they said, we think you need 3 months.
So I am not sure. Yes, keep praying for him.
I do know he has a lovely family.

I was giving this church another try to meet more people, I had been a regular back a few years ago. The one by me is a satellite.

I just realized something embarrassing.

I was re-listening to the sermon. Because I hadn't listened since I was in the actual service-- I think I must have tuned out the last half of the service for some reason or another.
I missed a lot of stuff he was saying about calling sin, sin and calling us to a better walk.
I feel badly. 🫣

Back