What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mike Adkins: A Man Named Norman

Ronnie

Charter Member

Mike Adkins “A Man Called Norman”​

4-23-17
“Today I am sharing a story with you that I heard many years ago on a James Dobson broadcast. The story is told by Mike Adkins and is about his neighbor Norman, who is avoided, neglected, and forgotten by the people in his town because he is very different in appearance and mannerisms from everyone else.”

From “X” (Twitter)

I met this gentleman in the Britton Plaza parking lot last night. I had just let him cross the street in front of me before parking. Once I parked - he waved at me through the window, which I then cracked so we could speak.

His first words to me were:
“Hello. My name is John. I’m 39 and I’m gay. I won’t hurt you, I don’t do bad things. You’re safe. I’ve been homeless for a very long time but this week I got keys to an apartment with help from a group. I don’t do drugs. I don’t smoke. I don’t drink. I’m trying to get $9 to buy eggs, milk, bread and hot dogs at Dollar Tree. Do you have anything to help?”
I gave him $10 and he was filled with so much gratitude and asked if I would pray for him. I said yes and he walked away after thanking me again.

I collected my things and by the time I had gotten out of my car, John was already two parking lanes away. Without even knowing what I was doing, I shouted, “John?” he turned around and I yelled “can I take you grocery shopping?”
His voice cracked and he said “that would be nice.” By the time he got back over to me, he was crying.
He told me he was scared to go into Publix looking “so disheveled” and I assured him it was okay.

We started talking and walking around the store grabbing the items he mentioned. He didn’t ask for anything else besides those 4 items above. I asked if he had a freezer in his apartment and he said yes. I told him to grab two of certain items bc he could freeze things like the bread and hot dogs.

He told me about growing up in Key West, how his mom was sick with MS and he helped take care of her. She died when he was young and he’s been on his own ever since. He explained how he’s been looking for a job but he has a criminal record for selling drugs - he didn’t do them but he wanted to make money to get off the streets and thought that was the way. Every fiber in my body told me this man was good and just needed help. I had him grab a few extra things (he was VERY excited to get cereal, face wash and “something to drink besides water”). I put a couple of canvas totes in the cart so he wouldn’t have to carry plastic bags.

I spent 20 minutes and $46 and you would’ve thought John won the lottery. He was overwhelmed with gratitude and kept saying how blessed he was.

We parted ways after check out as I needed to start my own grocery shopping and he went to wait for the bus.
I share this bc sometimes it’s the little things that can make a BIG impact. Sometimes it means stepping a little outside your comfort zone to help someone in need. Sometimes it means extending a handout to help someone get a hand up. We’ve all had ups and downs and highs and lows and the unexpected blessings and kindness that come out of those moments are what makes the world go round, especially in times like these.

via Toni Mari Wofford’s tweet

Back