What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

House elects Mike Johnson as Speaker, ending GOP chaos

1LoverofGod

Well-known
The House elected Rep. Mike Johnson (R-La.) to be the 56th Speaker on Wednesday, capping off a chaotic three weeks that paralyzed the lower chamber in a stunning fashion.

In finally coalescing around a new leader, House Republicans hope that Johnson can steer them around a series of legislative and political landmines in the weeks and months to come — an objective that is poised to be a heavy lift in the fractured GOP conference.

Johnson, who was in his second term as vice chairman of the House Republican Conference, won the Speaker’s gavel in a 220-209 vote over Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), officially cementing himself as successor to former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) following McCarthy’s unprecedented removal earlier this month.......

.....The mild-mannered Louisiana Republican has largely stayed under the radar throughout his tenure in Congress, focusing on his work with the House Judiciary Committee and House Armed Services Committee.

Complete story

I'm glad they broke the roadblock and elected a speaker, but I'll nervous since I know so little about Mike Johnson. Is he a true Patriot?
I watched the votes and acceptance speech live.
What impressed me was Mike emphasizing what scripture says about God being the One Who rises and removes leaders and He said that the core Creed of this nation is in the meaning behind the US motto In God We Trust and expanded on that meaning.

He said that this nation was in a better place when schools has prayer in them and was a mistake to end that and it ought to come back.
.I liked his speech.
But at this time it's words.
Time, should The Lord permit, will tell of his words become action.

Related story:

Newly elected House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) said Wednesday there are no coincidences in life, acknowledging that providence played a key role in his speakership victory.

Speaking from the House after a unanimous GOP vote, the first since 2011, Johnson spoke to the chamber about his belief in God’s plan for his life and for the lives of his fellow lawmakers:

I want to tell all my colleagues here what I told the Republicans in that room last night; I don’t believe there are any coincidences in a matter like this. I believe that Scripture, the Bible, is very clear that God is the one that raises up those in authority. He raised up each of you, all of us, and I believe that God has ordained and allowed each one of us to be brought here for this specific moment in this time.
This is my belief. I believe that each one of us has a huge responsibility today to use the gifts that God has given us to serve the extraordinary people of this great country — and they deserve it — and to ensure that our republic remains standing as the great beacon of light and hope and freedom in a world that desperately needs it.

More

More on new House Speaker:​

New Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson affirms God, rejects Marxism in first speech​

‘I believe that Scripture, the Bible, is very clear that God is the One [Who] raises up those in authority,’ Speaker Johnson told the House.

Mike Johnson of Louisiana, once described as a 'stalwart conservative and pro-family champion,' succeeds Kevin McCarthy as speaker of the U.S. House after Republicans were unable to rally behind several prominent candidates.

An Evangelical, Johnson is widely known for being socially conservative. In the 1990s, he and his wife Kelly worked to oppose lax divorce laws. In the 2000s, he was employed by the Christian-oriented law firm Alliance Defending Freedom, where he opposed homosexual “marriage” and took on religious liberty cases. He is also a longtime opponent of abortion, having an “A+” rating from Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America.

Johnson also has ties to the Family Research Council. In October 2022, he introduced the Stop the Sexualization of Children Act. The bill prohibits federal dollars from being used to push woke propaganda on minors under the age of 10. He has likewise been a boisterous opponent of the pro-LGBT “Equality Act.”

Mike Johnson’s Family And Friends Stunned To Learn He’s A Congressman

BENTON, LA — On the heels of Louisiana Representative Mike Johnson's election as Speaker of the House, family and close friends of the new speaker were shocked and amazed to learn that Mike Johnson is a congressman.

"Speaker of the House?! I just assumed he worked at Best Buy or something," said Johnson's close friend Bill Watts. "When I turned on the television today and saw him holding up the gavel on the House floor, I was totally stunned. A congressman? Are you sure?"

After a tumultuous several weeks, the Republican majority in the House of Representatives finally came together to unanimously elect Johnson. "We were running out of guys to nominate," said Kentucky Representative Thomas Massie. "Eventually, as a joke, somebody grabbed who we thought was just one of the IT guys in the hallway. Turns out his name is Mike Johnson and he's been serving in Congress since 2016. Blew all of our minds, really."

Back