What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eusebius — Nine Undiscovered Pretribulation-Rapture Passages

For the past year and a half, I have focused a good chunk of my morning study time on the Greek writings of early church fathers that are not included in the standard English translation sets. While there is much value to be derived from this effort, including deeper insight in early church history and in Greek syntax and semantics, these studies have a special focus — uncovering pretribulation rapture passages in Greek works that are either obscure or untranslated.

Last year, as the first fruits of this study, I presented ten clear pretribulation rapture passages from the Greek writings of Ephraem the Syrian that were previously unknown to the dispensational world. This year, I now present nine clear pretribulation rapture passages from the Greek writings of Eusebius that were previously unknown to the dispensational world.

These passages are valuable for two reasons. First of all, they are a significant addition to the body of patristic pretribulation rapture passages that we already have. Secondly, they strengthen the case that there were men in the early church who were amillennial—i.e. who followed replacement theology and practiced the allegorical method for understanding prophetic passages that pertained to Israel—yet believed in a rapture prior to the time we know as the tribulation.

(#1) Eusebius, Fragments in Luke, Luke 17:26, Migne 24.584-585

— Indeed, as all perished then except those gathered with Noah in the ark, so also at his coming, the ungodly in the season of apostasy … shall perish … At the time of the deluge, it (judgment) did not come and destroy all the inhabitants of the earth before (until) Noah entered into the ark. Therefore, in the same way, at the consummation of the age, it (this pattern) says (demands) that the cataclysm of the destruction of the ungodly shall not happen before those men who are found of God at that time are gathered into the ark and saved according to the pattern of Noah … all the righteous and godly are to be separated from the ungodly and gathered into the heavenly ark of God. For in this way [comes the time] when not even one righteous man will be found any more among mankind. And when all the ungodly have been made atheists by the antichrist, and the whole world is overcome by apostasy, the wrath of God shall come upon the ungodly.

More

When I finally get my Early Church Fathers out of storage, I need to verify these passages and the ones from Ephraim in the other threads aren't included. If they're not, definitely going to contact the publisher (Hendrickson) and inquire as to why.

Index Patristicus will be out of storage a lot quicker, so will check there, as well.

Just saw prices on just portions of the set, oh, my! :yikes: :eek: :fear:

When I finally get my Early Church Fathers out of storage, I need to verify these passages and the ones from Ephraim in the other threads aren't included. If they're not, definitely going to contact the publisher (Hendrickson) and inquire as to why.

Index Patristicus will be out of storage a lot quicker, so will check there, as well.

Just saw prices on just portions of the set, oh, my! :yikes: :eek: :fear:
Lee has been working on translating the previously untranslated chunks of the ECF- he is able to translate from the originals so there is stuff he's bringing out that is equivalent to discovering the Dead Sea Scrolls because it's bringing to light previously untranslated sections of the ECF. It's blowing holes in the theories that say dispensationalists are a recent invention. It's proving that the earliest church fathers were preaching and teaching it millennia before John Darby which is a particularly good thing to have on hand when debating them.

Back