What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When did the "times of the Gentiles" begin

I have always thought it began when the first Gentile was brought into the kingdom as a Gentile, and not as a converted Jew under the law. Therefore it began the day God revealed to Peter on the rooftop that the Gentiles were to be accepted, a message He made clear by sending him to Cornelius.

Amir says it began when Nebuchadnezzar exiled the Jews to Babylon but I always thought it began after Jesus ascension or at Pentecost.

It's kinda confusing. The Times of the Gentiles did begin with Nebuchadnezzar and nears its end in Revelation 11:2 "But exclude the outer court; do not measure it, because it has been given to the Gentiles. They will trample on the holy city for 42 months." These times are not related to if Gentiles are believers or not, but how nations are subjugating Israel. These Gentiles are represented by both the statue dream that Nebuchadnezzar had, and Daniel's vision of the beast.

Then there is The Fullness of the Gentiles (I capitalized and bolded both terms for emphasis and because they are technical.) This started in Acts 10 with Cornelius. This following excerpt is from Got Questions:

In Romans 9 Paul expresses his love for his Jewish brethren (Romans 9:1–5) and recognizes that the covenant promises are to be fulfilled to a specific group of Abraham’s descendants. Paul shows the distinct groups by highlighting God’s choosing of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and affirms that God’s blessing would be for those descendants who believe in the Messiah (Romans 9:33). Salvation would not only be for believing Jews, though, as Gentiles could also call upon the name of the Lord for salvation (Romans 10:12–13). While there are believing Jews and Gentiles, Paul explains that the nation of Israel as a whole has not yet received her Messiah (Romans 10:18—11:10), but they will one day be saved through believing in their Messiah (Romans 11:26).

In the meantime, Paul explains that there is a partial hardening of the nation—that many will refuse the Messiah—until the fullness of the Gentiles occurs. Israel’s hardening will continue until the divinely set number of Gentiles are saved: “Some of the people of Israel have hard hearts, but this will last only until the full number of Gentiles comes to Christ” (Romans 11:25, NLT).

I always thought it began in conjunction with the crucifixion, death, and resurrection of Jesus. Jesus said, "It is finished."

Until Jesus fulfilled the Law, the Law was to be observed.

The Centurion and his Soldiers is the first Gentile proclamation recorded in the Bible after Jesus died.

28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.
30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
John 19:28-30, KJV

54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.
Matthew 27:54, KJV

Gentiles have been welcomed to have faith in God, I think of Ruth, Rahab & others. When Jesus was walking on earth as one of us, He commends several gentiles' faith, and I don't find that they had to convert to Judaism. As Jesus was fulfilling the Law, He knew it could only reveal our sin and not redeem us. I'm guessing, but there was only a few years and those gentiles of faith could join the church. I don't recall that Jesus ever encouraged gentile followers to convert to Judaism.

Today in Sunday School we were in Matthew 16. From our little baptist church, we view Apostle Peter as very important, but not a Pope. The 'rock' is the confession of faith that all of the apostles had, except Judas. Yet Peter was given 'the keys.'

Peter's Confession of Christ
…18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

In Acts 2, God sends the Holy Spirit and the Church are those sealed by His Holy Spirit.

Back to the 'keys,' and if anyone wants an indepth look I'd recommend Arnold Fruchtenbaum's work on that, but for now here's another bit from Got Questions?:

"In Matthew 16:19, Jesus is specifically addressing Peter, so it is significant that, in the book of Acts, Peter figures prominently in the “opening of doors” to three different groups of people so they can enter the Kingdom. In Acts 2, it is Peter who preaches in Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost; about three thousand Jewish people are saved that day. Peter’s preaching had “unlocked the door” of heaven for the Jews. Later, in Acts 8, the Samaritans believe the gospel and receive the Holy Spirit; again, Peter (and John) was present for this event. Peter had “unlocked the door” for the Samaritans. Then, in Acts 10, Peter brings the gospel to a Roman centurion’s household, and they, too, receive the Holy Spirit. Peter had “unlocked the door” for the Gentiles. The “keys” that Jesus had given him worked in each case."

Peter had a very significant role. That's why I personally tie the conversion of Cornelius as the first gentile, but you're right Ghoti I., other gentiles believed in Jesus before Cornelius.

What about the Samaritan woman at the well?
She believed in Jesus, and many from her village.

It was a transition point of the Law ending, and I don't see any gentiles who placed their faith in Jesus getting directed back to the Law. I think of Hebrews where there were believing Jews getting exhorted to NOT go back to the Law.

Another interesting thing about Samaritans:
in Acts 8, the Samaritans believe the gospel and receive the Holy Spirit; again, Peter (and John) was present for this event. Peter had “unlocked the door” for the Samaritans.

When you think of the history of when the Samaritans split from the Jews and refused to acknowledge God's singular place to worship (the Temple in Jerusalem) then it makes sense that they enter Christ's Church through the Apostle's authority.

That’s interesting.. What makes you say that?
I’ve never listened to his other teachings.
On the occasion that his bro in law Mike Golay and other team members from his ministry appears in vids he always seems to overtalk them and gets a but defensive if someone challenges his views on something sometimes and it's kind of thrown me off him a bit personally.

When he's on his own doing his Israel updates, he's spot on most of the time with his info and is a bit more humble.

JMHO

Back