What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Babylon desolate "forever"? Jer. 25:12

Anastacia

Let Him do to me whatever seems good to Him 2Sam15
The word "forever" is making me wonder if this is literal and historical? If so, wouldn't that take a literal interpretation off the table for Rev 17 and 18?

I had learned (from Andy Woods) that God is literal when it comes to geography. I'm sure there are exceptions to it... so is Jer. 25:12 a literal "forever"?

Thanks for any insight on this!

"I will punish the king of Babylon and his nation, the land of the Babylonians, for their guilt," declares the Lord, "and I will make it desolate FOREVER." NIV
Jeremiah 25:12

"an everlasting desolation" NASB
"perpetual desolations" KJV
"everlasting waste" ESV and RSV

Hebrew: olam
  1. long duration, antiquity, futurity, for ever, ever, everlasting, evermore, perpetual, old, ancient, world
    1. ancient time, long time (of past)
    2. (of future)
      1. for ever, always
      2. continuous existence, perpetual
      3. everlasting, indefinite or unending future, eternity

There is a lot that is written about Babylon that didn't come to pass when it fell overnight to the Medes and Persians during the time of Daniel. Rather than sudden destruction, it kind of did a slow fade, and I believe even Peter was there for a while, or at least referenced it. Because of that, I think more is to come and agree with Dr. Woods that a literal fulfillment of everything is still coming. Fun fact that I think will be relevant: the Kurds of today are basically the same people group as the Medes.

I've been fascinated with the Bible prophecies on Babylon and how a city could be built as we close the pretrib. It hasn't started yet. If the trib happens before it's started, that will be some super fast architectural work. Many do not believe it will be rebuilt and feel it's Rome, or USA, or some other city or nation.

I've been fascinated with the Bible prophecies on Babylon and how a city could be built as we close the pretrib. It hasn't started yet. If the trib happens before it's started, that will be some super fast architectural work. Many do not believe it will be rebuilt and feel it's Rome, or USA, or some other city or nation.
I'm fascinated with it too! The rebuilding of a literal Babylon city is one of the reasons I've contemplated a gap between the rapture and start of the Trib. I actually havent considered it being the U.S., although at one time years ago, it was common to think it'd be Rome. A few weeks ago, the idea of it being [in] the U.S. came up here on CCF and I'd be curious to study the possibility if all the smart people here would start the discussion!!

I'm reading Jeremiah and last night I came on the verse saying Babylon will be a desolation forever so it started me thinking again.

Here's a couple of articles about a port construction Iraq is engaging in. I was reading in another place that if successful it would greatly enrich Iraq.

Back