What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Church of England Archbishop Says the Lord's Prayer is 'Problematic'

1LoverofGod

Well-known
Arguably the best-known prayer in the world is what we call “the Lord’s Prayer.” Even people who aren’t otherwise familiar with the Bible tend to know it, and often on movies and television, when we see someone praying, it’s the Lord’s Prayer.

We find the most familiar text of the Lord’s Prayer in Matthew 6:9-13 in the King James Version:

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
But one leader in the Church of England has come to the conclusion that the Lord’s Prayer is “problematic,” and I bet you can guess why.

“The archbishop of York has suggested that opening words of the Lord’s Prayer, recited by Christians all over the world for 2,000 years, may be ‘problematic’ because of their patriarchal association,” the Guardian reports.

“I know the word ‘father’ is problematic for those whose experience of earthly fathers has been destructive and abusive, and for all of us who have laboured rather too much from an oppressively patriarchal grip on life,” Stephen Cottrell said in his opening address to a meeting of the Church of England’s General Synod.

As you could probably expect, Cottrell’s offhand remark created some ripples. According to one female Anglican priest, Cottrell “put his finger on an issue that’s a really live issue for Christians and has been for many years.” She continued, “The big question is, do we really believe that God believes that male human beings bear his image more fully and accurately than women? The answer is absolutely not.”

Read More

:doh:

Well, on that basis then the entire Word of God is "problematic" because the entire Bible refers to God as Father; and He is always referred to by a male pronoun. The Bible also says male was created before female. What do you do with that?

Hey, don't accuse me of misogynistic patriarchal paternalism. I didn't write the Bible. And I was not there when the world was created. God was. And all I did is repeat is what God says about it.

I know the argument is that the Bible was written by men (or, at least, men acting under the inspiration of God) and, therefore, it is male-oriented. But the Bible stands tall in history as proclaiming the value of women. From the very beginning, it records women playing key roles in the development of the history of humanity.. God is not a respecter of persons and makes it clear in His Word that women are of exactly the same status and value in His Kingdom as men. But God also does not change the Truth in order to placate human feelings. Like it or not, God's Word is Truth. THE truth.

:doh:

Well, on that basis then the entire Word of God is "problematic" because the entire Bible refers to God as Father; and He is always referred to by a male pronoun. The Bible also says male was created before female. What do you do with that?

Hey, don't accuse me of misogynistic patriarchal paternalism. I didn't write the Bible. And I was not there when the world was created. God was. And all I did is repeat is what God says about it.

I know the argument is that the Bible was written by men (or, at least, men acting under the inspiration of God) and, therefore, it is male-oriented. But the Bible stands tall in history as proclaiming the value of women. From the very beginning, it records women playing key roles in the development of the history of humanity.. God is not a respecter of persons and makes it clear in His Word that women are of exactly the same status and value in His Kingdom as men. But God also does not change the Truth in order to placate human feelings. Like it or not, God's Word is Truth. THE truth.
Last I checked, it was the one dictating the message that set the tone, not the stenographer. Those accusing the Scriptures of (insert accusation here) are speaking more about themselves and their own desires than they are about the book they despise.

To quote Jesus;

“In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen. “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6‬:‭9‬-‭15‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

I guess Archie has a problem with Jesus because these are His words quoted.

Back