What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walking Away From The Truth: How Does Apostasy Happen?

1LoverofGod

Well-known
By Skip Heitzig
December 14, 2023

As believers, we love Jesus, we follow Him, we’re all in. We’re so thankful for the gospel—for being transformed and given new life. So we don’t understand how anybody who’s tasted that could ever walk away from it. How does apostasy happen? I’ve discovered about thirty different reasons the Bible has for why it happens. Here are a few.
Number one, persecution. People just do not want to pay the price to follow Jesus, especially publicly. Popularity and other people’s opinions are just way too important to them. “If I made a big deal about Jesus publicly, it could hurt my business or my status in the community.”
In Jesus’ parable about the sower and the seed, there are different hearts of people who heard the message. Jesus said that when persecution or tribulation arises because of the Word, some fall away. They stumble (see Matthew 13:20-21).

Another reason is mixed devotion. Some people come to church, but they’re fence-sitters. They think, “I’m attracted to the Jesus who forgives me for my sins and gives me joy and purpose, but there’s a lot of fun stuff to do in this world.” They’re earthbound. They’re after momentary comfort rather than Jesus and discipleship.

The Bible says, “Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him” (1 John 2:15). In the sower parable, Jesus said, “The cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful” (Matthew 13:22).

A third reason it can happen is because it’s just plain hard to follow Jesus for some—probably for all of us—at one point or another. Have you ever read something and thought, “I have to live that? That’s hard!” I certainly have.

More

More

I was totally agreeing with this post until I read the last statement of the Internet link provided, which is saying those who turn away are not saved.

Here is the last statement

"It’s no wonder that Jesus said, “Wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction…. Narrow is the gate…which leads to life, and there are few who find it” (Matthew 7:13-14). Not most, not a lot—few. No wonder Jesus will say to many, “I never knew you; depart from Me” (Matthew 7:23)."

1. Narrow is the gate? Correct, Jesus is the ONLY way!
2. Few that find it? Sure, most times it is Jesus that seeks and finds us, most don't seek after Jesus.
3. I never knew you? Pay close attention to the words. Jesus did not say "I don't know you" but "I never knew you", meaning these people were never saved!

If you are interested 1LoverofGod, you may want to read two of my posts below. :)

The Sower

I never Knew You

God Bless! 🙏

I was totally agreeing with this post until I read the last statement of the Internet link provided, which is saying those who turn away are not saved.

Here is the last statement

"It’s no wonder that Jesus said, “Wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction…. Narrow is the gate…which leads to life, and there are few who find it” (Matthew 7:13-14). Not most, not a lot—few. No wonder Jesus will say to many, “I never knew you; depart from Me” (Matthew 7:23)."

1. Narrow is the gate? Correct, Jesus is the ONLY way!
2. Few that find it? Sure, most times it is Jesus that seeks and finds us, most don't seek after Jesus.
3. I never knew you? Pay close attention to the words. Jesus did not say "I don't know you" but "I never knew you", meaning these people were never saved!

If you are interested 1LoverofGod, you may want to read two of my posts below. :)

The Sower

I never Knew You

God Bless! 🙏
I think there's scripture supporting that Apostasy is criteria for a "believer" not being saved.
But in context the "saved" believer was "never truly saved". It's like a Judas complex, if you understand what I mean.

"They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us"
1 John 2:19

I think there's scripture supporting that Apostasy is criteria for a "believer" not being saved.
But in context the "saved" believer was "never truly saved". It's like a Judas complex, if you understand what I mean.

"They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us"
Maybe you did not actually mean what you just said, but you stated "a believer not being saved". Judas was never a believer, nor were those 1 John 2:19 says went out from us. When John states "but they were not of us" that is just another way of saying they were not ever saved.

The article is either saying or at least implying that someone who is saved can lose their salvation if they turn away, which is not correct. Notice that 1 John 2:19 never says that those it is referring to were ever saved. They just belonged to the group, like Judas. Not saying the writer of the article did this intentionally, but far too many Pastors and Christians state things that make one think they can lose their salvation. When he tied in the "I never knew you" scripture and the "Parable of the Sower" they were taken out of context.

Here is an example...
Luke 8:13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

In this passage Luke states that this group believed, so then they were saved. Anyone who thinks this group is not saved, must think that more than belief is required for salvation.

That said... We don't have to agree!
:)

Maybe you did not actually mean what you just said, but you stated "a believer not being saved". Judas was never a believer, nor were those 1 John 2:19 says went out from us. When John states "but they were not of us" that is just another way of saying they were not ever saved.

The article is either saying or at least implying that someone who is saved can lose their salvation if they turn away, which is not correct. Notice that 1 John 2:19 never says that those it is referring to were ever saved. They just belonged to the group, like Judas. Not saying the writer of the article did this intentionally, but far too many Pastors and Christians state things that make one think they can lose their salvation. When he tied in the "I never knew you" scripture and the "Parable of the Sower" they were taken out of context.

Here is an example...
Luke 8:13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

In this passage Luke states that this group believed, so then they were saved. Anyone who thinks this group is not saved, must think that more than belief is required for salvation.

That said... We don't have to agree!
:)
I guess what I am trying to explain is that when we see the term Apostasy, it typically refers to a one time believer who left the faith.

If they leave the faith, then they were never true believers.

"They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us"

These Apostates are worse off than if the had never known the Truth.

"For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them".
2 Peter 2:20-21

"For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt"
Hebrews 6:4-6
(This passage is addressing believing Jews who had become believers but returned to the law after knowing The truth about Jesus. This is Apostacy)

Let me just say this one statement, hoping that it might help. 👍

Knowing The Truth and Believing The Truth are two very different things!

I went to church and knew The truth (not the part about it being a Free Gift) when I was very young and could share it if I wanted to. However, I did not believe and accept The truth until I was 28.

I think I will leave it at that. :)

God Bless!
:love:

If they leave the faith, then they were never true believers.

"They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us"
Concur. One cant ever depart their faith once they are saved. They can become carnal, backslide, not receive any blessings, but never is their salvation in question.

She put "believer" in quotes. I thought she did a good job of describing people she was referring to: people who aren't really saved to begin with.
That's exactly what I was referring to.
I believe that's where the OP was leading to in his comments.

See, some people believe they are saved, but as we know a saved believer will work out their faith as James 2:14-26 implies ( some think this passage refers to a worked based salvation, but it's not. It refers to the saved believer working out our faith that will demonstrate that we are truly Jesus disciples)..

"What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

Because some think they are saved but never produce the fruits of their salvation, is why Paul stated that we ought to examine ourselves to be sure we are in the faith.

If the professed believer is not producing the fruits of a disciple of Jesus, and still living in the practice of sin, then they need to check their hearts, and need to repent and confess they are sinners and in need of a Savior and receive Jesus as such and be saved.

These professing Christians who think they are saved are more likely to fall into Apostasy in times of trials, and is why they need to examine themselves to see whether they are truly saved.

"Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified"
2 Corinthians 13:5

Back