What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Lord is our Refuge in times of trouble. "You Are My Hiding Place". by Selah

The lyrics of this beautiful song are deceptively simple. He indeed is our hiding place. Through years of trials He has taught me that I can truly trust Him with everything in my life. Though I am so weak in myself, in Christ I am strong; for His strength sustains me. It carries me through the flood and the flame.

Fear, like a hungry beast, crouches at my door, ready to pounce on me every time I begin to worry. But at those times I remember the promises He made me the night I finally broke and gave Him my heart. He said, "Fear not: for I have redeemed you, I have called you by your name; you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you: when you walk through the fire, you shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour." And He has kept those promises.

But those promises are not for me alone. They are for every single person who will give Him their heart, every single person who will trust Him with their life.

Proverbs 18:10 says, “The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runs into it and is safe.” And what is "the name of the Lord"? It is everything that He is, every quality, every characteristic, every capacity. He who cannot lose, who cannot lie, who will not leave is your strong and high tower. No wonder King David, whose life was marked by great strife and struggle --caused by others and also by his own sin and weakness-- no wonder he said, "And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me; Therefore I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD." He knew that God is the one hiding place where we are all safe-- in this life, and for eternity.

So, when I turn from looking at my circumstances and run into the strong tower of my God's love for me, the fortress of His never-ending mercy and faithfulness, I can truly rest...free from fear, free from worry. Isaiah 50:10 is a rock I have clung to many times. It tells me that the believer may one day find themselves in total darkness, without any light, no hope in sight. But the answer at such a time is to trust in the name of the Lord (that is to say, trust in everything that God has revealed Himself to be) and therefore remain fixed --anchored and immovable-- on his God.

Rose, thank you for posting this simple yet powerful song, reminding us all of the simple, fundamental truth that God is our absolutely secure and safe refuge and, therefore, worthy of all our trust.

Back