What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spiritual Gifts (Speaking in Tongues)

Goodboy

Just waiting for the Rapture at this point!

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Act 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

1Co 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
1Co 12:2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.
1Co 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
1Co 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1Co 12:5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
1Co 12:6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
1Co 12:12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
1Co 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
1Co 12:14 For the body is not one member, but many.
1Co 12:15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
1Co 12:16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
1Co 12:17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
1Co 12:18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
1Co 12:19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
1Co 12:20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
1Co 12:21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
1Co 12:22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
1Co 12:23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
1Co 12:24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked:
1Co 12:25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
1Co 12:26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
1Co 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1Co 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
1Co 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
1Co 14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
1Co 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
1Co 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
1Co 14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
1Co 14:7 And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?
1Co 14:8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?
1Co 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.
1Co 14:10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.
1Co 14:11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
1Co 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
1Co 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
1Co 14:16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
1Co 14:17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.
1Co 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
1Co 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
1Co 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
1Co 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
1Co 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
1Co 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
1Co 14:24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:
1Co 14:25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.
1Co 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
1Co 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
1Co 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
1Co 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
1Co 14:30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
1Co 14:31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
1Co 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
1Co 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
1Co 14:36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?
1Co 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
1Co 14:38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
1Co 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
1Co 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Why did I list so many verses in Corinthians? Because I wanted to give you Paul’s full counsel to the Corinthian church regarding spiritual gifts. The Corinthian church had a problem of over emphasizing the gift of tongues. If you read all the verses above there are five things you should have learned if you didn’t know them already.

1. Based on Acts 2:1-8, Acts 10:45-46 and 1 Cor 14:22 you can see that tongues were primarily used as a sign or proof that God (the Holy Spirit) is with the one speaking. In these cases the tongues spoken were human languages.
  1. Based on 1 Cor 13:1 there are tongues of both men and angles. Based on 1 Cor 14:2 and 14:4 the purpose of the angelic tongue is for self edification when speaking with God. This is the same gift as human tongues, just utilized to speak with God rather than people.
  1. Based on 1 Cor 12:10 and 1 Cor 12:30 not everyone is given the gift of tongues.
  1. Based on 1 Cor 12:28 Paul states that tongues is one of the lesser gifts. Based on 1 Cor 14:1, 14:5 and 14:39 Paul would rather that you seek prophesy, but before that based on 1 Cor 13:1-13 Paul wants us to make sure we have LOVE. If we don’t have love, Paul considers the gifts to be worthless.
  1. Based on 1 Cor 13:8 some believe that tongues no longer exist. As there are no clear verses that say that this is now the case, I take no stand on that.
If you do speak in tongues, praise God that you have that gift and don’t stop utilizing it. I believe it is a great way to build yourself up and improve your prayer and worship life. That said; please do not try to get others that do not have the gift of tongues to seek it. If you want them to seek something, they should in Paul’s words “covet earnestly the best gifts” as he suggests prophesy.

But as Paul states, LOVE is the most important thing that a Christian should seek if they don’t already have that quality. Where did Paul come up with that thinking? From Jesus who constantly preached about loving God, loving other Christians and yes even loving your enemy!

Goodboy :)

I have never known anyone who spoke in tongues nor I have I ever been around the atmosphere of those who do.

Aside from the passages in the bible, the whole thing is totally foreign to my upbringing.
I am not surprised. As it is not totally clear from the Bible whether tongues still exists, I can't say one way other other with certainty. However, if I was forced to make a decision I would say they don't exist. There may be some on this forum that do speak in tongues. If so, please don't think I am saying that you do not. I am just saying from my limited experience and logic, I would tend to say they no longer exist.

Here is why I come to my conclusion, but could surely be convinced otherwise.
1) The only tongues I have heard supposedly spoken were the Angelic tongues, which no one can confirm is any tongue at all. I have never heard anyone speaking another earthly language that could then be verified.
2) There are some that try to teach you how to speak in tongues by just saying any old thing continually and after a while you are speaking tongues. Tongues are a gift, not something you need to practice.

Again, just to be clear I am not at all saying that tongues no longer exist, just that I have not been given any proof that they do. If someone is willing to prove to me that they do exist, I am willing to listen. I am not at all saying I am correct in what my thinking is. Hopefully there is someone on the forum that can make a case for tongues and their purpose. While I like to share my thoughts, I also like to learn! :love:

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Act 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

1Co 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
1Co 12:2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.
1Co 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
1Co 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1Co 12:5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
1Co 12:6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
1Co 12:12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
1Co 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
1Co 12:14 For the body is not one member, but many.
1Co 12:15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
1Co 12:16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
1Co 12:17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
1Co 12:18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
1Co 12:19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
1Co 12:20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
1Co 12:21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
1Co 12:22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
1Co 12:23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
1Co 12:24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked:
1Co 12:25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
1Co 12:26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
1Co 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1Co 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
1Co 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
1Co 14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
1Co 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
1Co 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
1Co 14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
1Co 14:7 And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?
1Co 14:8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?
1Co 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.
1Co 14:10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.
1Co 14:11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
1Co 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
1Co 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
1Co 14:16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
1Co 14:17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.
1Co 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
1Co 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
1Co 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
1Co 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
1Co 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
1Co 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
1Co 14:24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:
1Co 14:25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.
1Co 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
1Co 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
1Co 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
1Co 14:29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
1Co 14:30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
1Co 14:31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
1Co 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
1Co 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
1Co 14:36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?
1Co 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
1Co 14:38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
1Co 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
1Co 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Why did I list so many verses in Corinthians? Because I wanted to give you Paul’s full counsel to the Corinthian church regarding spiritual gifts. The Corinthian church had a problem of over emphasizing the gift of tongues. If you read all the verses above there are five things you should have learned if you didn’t know them already.

1. Based on Acts 2:1-8, Acts 10:45-46 and 1 Cor 14:22 you can see that tongues were primarily used as a sign or proof that God (the Holy Spirit) is with the one speaking. In these cases the tongues spoken were human languages.
  2. Based on 1 Cor 13:1 there are tongues of both men and angles. Based on 1 Cor 14:2 and 14:4 the purpose of the angelic tongue is for self edification when speaking with God. This is the same gift as human tongues, just utilized to speak with God rather than people.
  3. Based on 1 Cor 12:10 and 1 Cor 12:30 not everyone is given the gift of tongues.
  4. Based on 1 Cor 12:28 Paul states that tongues is one of the lesser gifts. Based on 1 Cor 14:1, 14:5 and 14:39 Paul would rather that you seek prophesy, but before that based on 1 Cor 13:1-13 Paul wants us to make sure we have LOVE. If we don’t have love, Paul considers the gifts to be worthless.
  5. Based on 1 Cor 13:8 some believe that tongues no longer exist. As there are no clear verses that say that this is now the case, I take no stand on that.
If you do speak in tongues, praise God that you have that gift and don’t stop utilizing it. I believe it is a great way to build yourself up and improve your prayer and worship life. That said; please do not try to get others that do not have the gift of tongues to seek it. If you want them to seek something, they should in Paul’s words “covet earnestly the best gifts” as he suggests prophesy.

But as Paul states, LOVE is the most important thing that a Christian should seek if they don’t already have that quality. Where did Paul come up with that thinking? From Jesus who constantly preached about loving God, loving other Christians and yes even loving your enemy!

Goodboy :)
Good message.
I like how Chuck Smith described the speaking of tongues gift being the gift that is vertical, directed to God.
Whereas the other gifts are horizontal, for the edification of The Church.
This is a very controversial topic among churches because there are many who are are in the belief of cessation, that this gift ended with the Apostles.
I've never been able to comprehend how The Holy Spirit would cease some gifts and not others.
I stay out of debates on this because it's not a salvation issue and the gifts are given to each one individually according to how The Spirit wants to use a servant of The Lord.
Some have one gift whereas others may hay multiple gifts and I believe the more a believer grows in maturity the Holy Spirit may increase or interchange the gifts.
Every believer has the Holy Spirit indwelled in them upon salvation so I believe that Luke 11:13 applies to the gifts of The Holy Spirit where Jesus said....

"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”
Luke 11:13

Thanks for sharing Good boy 🥰

I am not surprised. As it is not totally clear from the Bible whether tongues still exists, I can't say one way other other with certainty. However, if I was forced to make a decision I would say they don't exist. There may be some on this forum that do speak in tongues. If so, please don't think I am saying that you do not. I am just saying from my limited experience and logic, I would tend to say they no longer exist.

Here is why I come to my conclusion, but could surely be convinced otherwise.
1) The only tongues I have heard supposedly spoken were the Angelic tongues, which no one can confirm is any tongue at all. I have never heard anyone speaking another earthly language that could then be verified.
2) There are some that try to teach you how to speak in tongues by just saying any old thing continually and after a while you are speaking tongues. Tongues are a gift, not something you need to practice.

Again, just to be clear I am not at all saying that tongues no longer exist, just that I have not been given any proof that they do. If someone is willing to prove to me that they do exist, I am willing to listen. I am not at all saying I am correct in what my thinking is. Hopefully there is someone on the forum that can make a case for tongues and their purpose. While I like to share my thoughts, I also like to learn! :love:
I don't believe anyone can "teach" anyone to speak tongues. It's a Divine gift that needs no teaching.
There are some churches that go way too far with the gifts and misuse them and don't understand them.
Some denominations believe that tongues are interpreted with prophecy and that's not an accurate biblical teaching. The gift of Prophecy is not revealing an event that's coming as in foretelling the future.
This gift of prophecy is for edifying the church and basically is always from God's Word that already exists and beneficial for edifying, up building and counsel.

Good message.
I like how Chuck Smith described the speaking of tongues gift being the gift that is vertical, directed to God.
Whereas the other gifts are horizontal, for the edification of The Church.
This is a very controversial topic among churches because there are many who are are in the belief of cessation, that this gift ended with the Apostles.
I've never been able to comprehend how The Holy Spirit would cease some gifts and not others.
I stay out of debates on this because it's not a salvation issue and the gifts are given to each one individually according to how The Spirit wants to use a servant of The Lord.
Some have one gift whereas others may hay multiple gifts and I believe the more a believer grows in maturity the Holy Spirit may increase or interchange the gifts.
Every believer has the Holy Spirit indwelled in them upon salvation so I believe that Luke 11:13 applies to the gifts of The Holy Spirit where Jesus said....

"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”
Luke 11:13

Thanks for sharing Good boy 🥰
Just for the record, I did sincerely pray and ask for the gift of tongues, but did not receive it. Not that it proves anything, but I did ask.

Also, Luke 11:13 speaks of God giving the Holy Spirit to those who ask. So isn't that passage being very specific? 🤔
I would think that the Bible would say "the gifts of the Holy Spirit" to make it clear if that's what it means. 🤔

Just for the record, I did sincerely pray and ask for the gift of tongues, but did not receive it. Not that it proves anything, but I did ask.

Also, Luke 11:13 speaks of God giving the Holy Spirit to those who ask. So isn't that passage being very specific? 🤔
We can ask for specific gifts but we may not receive them because The Holy Spirit determines what He deems us useful for. The asking for the Holy Spirit I think would be just that, specific of The Holy Spirit in general for the purpose of being given the gifts He sees we can be used for.
I hope that made sense

I would think that the Bible would say "the gifts of the Holy Spirit" to make it clear if that's what is means. 🤔
Maybe and again I say maybe Luke 11:13 only makes sense in context as to when Jesus said it. At that time no one had the Holy Spirit as Jesus had not yet died and rose again. Maybe? 🤔

Possibly but I believe every believer automatically has The Holy Spirit indwelled in the new believer without asking. Just my thoughts
I would agree that is currently true, but if you remember after Jesus died some got saved and did not yet have the Holy Spirit.

Maybe and again I say maybe Luke 11:13 only makes sense in context as to when Jesus said it. At that time no one had the Holy Spirit as Jesus had not yet died and rose again. Maybe? 🤔
Except, in John 20:22 (at the Last Supper) Scripture says, "And when He had said this, He breathed on them (his disciples), and said to them, 'Receive the Holy Spirit.'"

Possibly but I believe every believer automatically has The Holy Spirit indwelled in the new believer without asking. Just my thoughts
True, the Holy Spirit comes and seals every believer. (Ephesians 1:13; 1 Corinthians 6:19)

I would agree that is currently true, but if you remember after Jesus died some got saved and did not yet have the Holy Spirit.
Two questions here: were they saved, our did they have a head knowledge of Christ and not a heart knowledge? In other words, did they intellectually accept Him as the Messiah but were not yet personally converted. Or, is the reference to receiving the Holy Spirit related to the baptism of the Holy Spirit, the evidence of which.the Bible seems to indicate is tongues?

I myself received the gift of tongues. I sometimes worship and pray in tongues. On very rare occasions i have given a message in tongues in the church, which was interpreted. Yet, while I am convinced of the reality of the baptism of the Holy Spirit, I am not convinced that tongues are the sole evidence of it. Look at Moody who taught --and had Torrey teach continually on-- the baptism of the Holy Spirit which he indicated was essential for powerful service (and which he credited for the explosion of his preaching ministry into the international mega-ministry it became.) Yet we see no clear evidence that he ever spoke in tongues.

Here's a good explanation describing the difference between the indwelling of the Spirit and the Spirit coming upon the believer who has the Spirit already in them.

Every follower of Jesus has the indwelling of the Spirit upon "believing" in Jesus and is saved.

The Holy Spirit came as promised by Jesus to be The Helper after he would depart from them and ascend to Heaven.

The 120 disciples of pentecost we're saved believers but when The Helper came He came specifically for the purpose of Helping The Church accomplish the commission.

Read this article from The Blue Letter Bible website as it explains it better than I can 🥰

Not saying the verses above clearly prove anything, but this is why some believe that tongues are no longer active. Meaning the use of tongues for the unbeliever is never utilized today to my knowledge and that was their primary purpose.

Back in the mid-seventies, my first wife was once praying with a mixed group of teens to whom she had been witnessing, most of whom were not saved; and in the middle of her prayer she burst into tongues, something obviously unfamiliar to the kids. When she finished, one girl looked at her in amazement and asked, "Where did you learn my language?" Charlotte responded with, "What?" The girl replied, "You were just glorifying God in my language: Arabic."

True, the Holy Spirit comes and seals every believer. (Ephesians 1:13; 1 Corinthians 6:19)

Two questions here: were they saved, our did they have a head knowledge of Christ and not a heart knowledge? In other words, did they intellectually accept Him as the Messiah but were not yet personally converted. Or, is the reference to receiving the Holy Spirit related to the baptism of the Holy Spirit, the evidence of which.the Bible seems to indicate is tongues?

I myself received the gift of tongues. I sometimes worship and pray in tongues. On very rare occasions i have given a message in tongues in the church, which was interpreted. Yet, while I am convinced of the reality of the baptism of the Holy Spirit, I am not convinced that tongues are the sole evidence of it. Look at Moody who taught --and had Torrey teach continually on-- the baptism of the Holy Spirit which he indicated was essential for powerful service (and which he credited for the explosion of his preaching ministry into the international mega-ministry it became.) Yet we see no clear evidence that he ever spoke in tongues.
I was waiting for someone I could trust to make a case for tongues. You are someone that I do not believe would fake speaking in tongues. So I think you have made me a believer. It is sad that there is so much fakery and misuse of tongues these days. I was told that everyone could speak in tongues, when Paul teaches that is not true.

Thanks so much for your contribution to this thread.
:love:

Back in the mid-seventies, my first wife was once praying with a mixed group of teens to whom she had been witnessing, most of whom were not saved; and in the middle of her prayer she burst into tongues, something obviously unfamiliar to the kids. When she finished, one girl looked at her in amazement and asked, "Where did you learn my language?" Charlotte responded with, "What?" The girl replied, "You were just glorifying God in my language: Arabic."

Now that is what I have been longing to hear and makes perfect sense!!! :love:

I was waiting for someone I could trust to make a case for tongues. You are someone that I do not believe would fake speaking in tongues. So I think you have made me a believer. It is sad that there is so much fakery and misuse of tongues these days. I was told that everyone could speak in tongues, when Paul teaches that is not true.

Thanks so much for your contribution to this thread.
I appreciate Paul's words regarding tongues that he wished everyone would speak in tongues but he emphasized that speaking in tongues had no value if there was not love.
Love is the greatest gift of all that has been given to evey believer but some choose not to use this beautiful gift.

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal"
1 Corinthians 13:1

I appreciate Paul's words regarding tongues that he wished everyone would speak in tongues but he emphasized that speaking in tongues had no value if there was not love.
Love is the greatest gift of all that has been given to evey believer but some choose not to use this beautiful gift.

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal"

1 Corinthians 13:1

Excellent point!!! 👍

There are many Christians that don't realize just how powerful and important love is. Sadly, that is primarily because many of them have not experienced true unconditional love.

Well when they get to Heaven how overwhelmed and overjoyed they will be, as each and everyone of us will be showing true, unconditional love!!!

Imagine that!!!

Back