What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Self Evaluation

Goodboy

Just waiting for the Rapture at this point!
Self Evaluation

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
I listed this Bible verse above just to show that self-evaluation is even in the Bible, so it is not just something I made up and thought was a good idea.

I believe that we all should evaluate ourselves every once in a while and confirm that we are living as we should. Sadly, I did not start doing this until after my divorce which was about 2 years ago. While the divorce was requested by my wife and she refused to try and make it work, we all have a part to play which we can improve on in any relationship.

So at first I just evaluated myself against what I personally thought was right. Using that type of evaluation I gave myself a B+. Yeah, I found a few things I could do better, but I thought I was pretty good for the most part. Well I later realized that it is easy to give myself a B+ if I evaluate myself against my own standards.

So I will give you two examples of some behaviors that I had which I incorrectly gave myself and A on.

The first was I refused to love anyone that did not love me. I thought that was fair. It kind of worked well, as I would not get hurt badly if the relationship ended.

The second was I had what I would call Goodboy2. That was an aggressive fearless guy with no empathy. I used him only if someone treated me really badly emotionally or otherwise. I thought of him as my big brother coming to the rescue.

To get some understanding of Goodboy2, when someone once treated me badly while playing basketball in a gym I first told the guy if you have a problem come step to me. Then I turned to the whole gym with around 15 guys and told them if anyone else has a problem come step to me. That is just how fearless and we could say dumb I would become.

So I thought these behaviors were great as they seemed to work well for me. I also felt they were fair, as I would not instigate but only react to what I was receiving.

Well I can’t take credit for what I am about to say as it is a result of both a relationship I was in and the Holy Spirit. Somehow I got the message that my self-evaluation needed to be against what the Bible taught, not what I personally thought was right.

Well I quickly figured out that Goodboy2 was certainly not a good representation of a Christian, so I had to let him go. I also realized that only loving those who love me was not Biblical.

So I have managed to let Goodboy2 go, so I give myself an A regarding that. Loving those who do not love me however is much harder but so far I will give myself a C- regarding that. We will see how that goes.

So my advice is to self-evaluate against the Bible and start with Love!

What is love?

1 Corinthians 13:4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, and it is not proud.
1 Corinthians 13:5 Love is not rude, it is not selfish, and it cannot be made angry easily. Love does not remember wrongs done against it.
1 Corinthians 13:6 Love is never happy when others do wrong, but it is always happy with the truth.
1 Corinthians 13:7 Love never gives up on people. It never stops trusting, never loses hope, and never quits.

1) Is patient
2) Is kind
3) Is not jealous
4) Does not brag
5) Is not proud
6) Is not rude
7) Is not selfish
8) Cannot be made angry easily
9) Does not remember wrongs
10) Is never happy when others do wrong
11) Is always happy with the truth
12) Never gives up on people