What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meaning of Philippians 2:12-13?

?

To start this section off, I'll ask a question that I think many wonder about. What does the following verse mean:

"So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:12-13, NASB, emphasis mine)

Since we cannot earn our salvation (per Ephesians 2:8-10), we know that "work" doesn't mean we try to earn our salvation. And "fear and trembling" would seem to contradict Romans 8:1.

So, any takers?

To start this section off, I'll ask a question that I think many wonder about. What does the following verse mean:

"So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:12-13, NASB, emphasis mine)

Since we cannot earn our salvation (per Ephesians 2:8-10), we know that "work" doesn't mean we try to earn our salvation. And "fear and trembling" would seem to contradict Romans 8:1.

So, any takers?
I just became a member and decided to reply to this question from June.

First let me list the verses in context.
Php 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
Php 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Php 2:14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
Php 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
Php 2:16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.
Php 2:17 Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all.
Php 2:18 For the same cause also do ye joy, and rejoice with me.

Paul explains starting in verse 2:15 through 2:16 the "why" to what he is requesting. . This verse is not about salvation, but about our Christian walk. Paul wants to be proud of those he has ministered to and that he has not spent his time laboring in vain.

That's my understanding anyway. 👍

Back