What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for Bible passage

LeahMK

I am pulling my hair out trying to find a passage that I read but did not write down.

The chapter the passage is found in is not very long, I’d be surprised if it was move than 25 verses. The passage I’m looking for appears toward the middle/end of the chapter.

The speaker is addressing a command (?) that we are not to participate in man’s wars or the world’s wars. It mentions smiting the generals (?) and soldiers/foot soldiers who fight for man. I believe it was referring to the final battles.

It’s a definite Do Not Do This kind of chapter. If someone could help me find this, I would be so grateful!

Could this be it?

Finally, be strengthened by the Lord and by His vast strength. Put on the full armor of God so that you can stand against the tactics of the Devil. For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world powers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens. This is why you must take up the full armor of God, so that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having prepared everything, to take your stand. Stand, therefore,

with truth like a belt around your waist,
righteousness like armor on your chest,
and your feet sandaled with readiness
for the gospel of peace.
In every situation take the shield of faith,
and with it you will be able to extinguish
all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
Take the helmet of salvation,
and the sword of the Spirit,
which is God’s word.

Pray at all times in the Spirit with every prayer and request, and stay alert in this with all perseverance and intercession for all the saints.

Ephesians 6:10-18

I am pulling my hair out trying to find a passage that I read but did not write down.

I searched far and wide by searching the internet, Strong's Concordance, and Nave's Topical Bible but couldn't find anything that remotely resembles your description. Sorry I couldn't help.

Could this be it?

Finally, be strengthened by the Lord and by His vast strength. Put on the full armor of God so that you can stand against the tactics of the Devil. For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world powers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens. This is why you must take up the full armor of God, so that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having prepared everything, to take your stand. Stand, therefore,

with truth like a belt around your waist,
righteousness like armor on your chest,
and your feet sandaled with readiness
for the gospel of peace.
In every situation take the shield of faith,
and with it you will be able to extinguish
all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
Take the helmet of salvation,
and the sword of the Spirit,
which is God’s word.

Pray at all times in the Spirit with every prayer and request, and stay alert in this with all perseverance and intercession for all the saints.

Ephesians 6:10-18
Thank you for your reply. No, this was not it, unfortunately. While this passage is more of a “do this” type of passage, the one I am looking for is a definite “do NOT do this” type. This one is more of a spiritual battle, the passage I am looking for was referencing a literal army. So it was along the lines of: do not join man’s army as God will smite them from the highest general to the foot solder. Obviously that is not word for word but that was the gist of it.
Hopefully someone will know of or be able to find this and help me out.

Thank you!!

Thank you for your reply. No, this was not it, unfortunately. While this passage is more of a “do this” type of passage, the one I am looking for is a definite “do NOT do this” type. This one is more of a spiritual battle, the passage I am looking for was referencing a literal army. So it was along the lines of: do not join man’s army as God will smite them from the highest general to the foot solder. Obviously that is not word for word but that was the gist of it.
Hopefully someone will know of or be able to find this and help me out.

Thank you!!

I'll keep my eyes open but in the mean time you might try BibleGateway as a possible place to search using key words that come to mind. :)

1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
5 And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

6 The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.
7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.
2 Timothy 2:1-7, KJV

23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
2 Timothy 2: 23-26, KJV

You might look at ESV and NIV for alternate readings of these verses, as well. Might be closer to what you're thinking about.
Look at the whole chapter, as well, since I posted only what I thought were most likely.

Might check a pacifist/anti-war website and see what Bible verses they consider as anti-military service.

@LeahMK, I have wracked my brain and my reference materials for any passages with content similar to what you have written, but I am honestly coming up dry. Can you give any more details, perhaps of the book itself? Or anything else in the vicinity of that passage? What you were reading before or after the time you came upon that passage? Anything at all might help.

The chapter the passage is found in is not very long, I’d be surprised if it was move than 25 verses. The passage I’m looking for appears toward the middle/end of the chapter.

The speaker is addressing a command (?) that we are not to participate in man’s wars or the world’s wars. It mentions smiting the generals (?) and soldiers/foot soldiers who fight for man. I believe it was referring to the final battles.

It’s a definite Do Not Do This kind of chapter. If someone could help me find this, I would be so grateful!
Do you happen to recall if it was in the Old or New Testament? So far, the only thing that sounds remotely like that (and it doesn't by much) is the last paragraph of John 18.

I don't recall ever reading such a passage in the Bible. In fact, to me, it reads contrary to what God has said in the Bible.

Quantrill

I have struggled to help you with this, but in more than 50 years as a Christian adult devoted to Bible reading and study I do not recall EVER having read anything like this in the Bible. I know there are things in some non-biblical books (which I have read but am not about to mention here) that might be somewhat similar to what you are recalling, but nothing that I know of in the Word of God. Sorry.

Nonetheless, I hope you stay around here and partake in our Bible study forums. God has so much to teach us!

I have struggled to help you with this, but in more than 50 years as a Christian adult devoted to Bible reading and study I do not recall EVER having read anything like this in the Bible. I know there are things in some non-biblical books (which I have read but am not about to mention here) that might be somewhat similar to what you are recalling, but nothing that I know of in the Word of God. Sorry.

Nonetheless, I hope you stay around here and partake in our Bible study forums. God has so much to teach us!
Thank you for trying

1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
5 And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

6 The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.
7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.
2 Timothy 2:1-7, KJV

23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
2 Timothy 2: 23-26, KJV

You might look at ESV and NIV for alternate readings of these verses, as well. Might be closer to what you're thinking about.
Look at the whole chapter, as well, since I posted only what I thought were most likely.

Might check a pacifist/anti-war website and see what Bible verses they consider as anti-military service.
Thank you for your time and suggestions, I will definitely do that!

Thank you for your help

@LeahMK, thank you for your acknowledgement of our efforts. Very kind of you. Sorry we couldn't help. If you do ever find the answer, please let us know.

And I meant it when I said I hope you stay around here. There is a lot of godly knowledge and wisdom among the members here. And as we all seek to know God better (a lifelong journey, I might add, but one definitely worth it) and as we grow to know Him better, we help each other with the things we have learned. Yes, CCF is a good place for plain old fellowship, which we all need; but it's also a good place to study God and learn so much more about how much He truly loves us and is interested in every aspect of our daily lives, and how exactly He is working in us.

Back