What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Osteen soft pedals sin.

Lots of Christians seem to like Joel Olsteen's broadcasts, a slick, glitzy and superficially positive message. However there are video clips on youtube of when Joel Olsteen is interviewed and goes off script, then I think the polished facade falls and the true Joel is revealed. He supports LGBTQI, gay pride, same sex marriage and believes sincere Hindus are saved. All appearance no substance. I think this scripture fits him well:

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Because he's so very popular and therefore in many people's eyes 'successful' I think he will also inspire many other preachers to go for the same methods.

God Bless All :)

Just as I wouldn’t go hear Norman Vincent Peal teach on child rearing, I wouldn’t sit under Osteen teaching whatever.
Over 40 years ago, I found this book of Norman Vincent Peal, called "the power of posotive thinking".
That sounded very interesting to me, so I bought it.
But I soon discovered this wasn't a christian book at all. It just sounded "christian-like".
Maybe this was what started my learning to discern the spirits whether they are of God.
And in that way, the book was beneficial for me..... To the point I remember it after so many years.

“Sinner already know they are doing wrong” -Osteen; Pastor, No they don’t!
When society changes what is sinful and makes laws to support sin, how do people know they are sinning? That was the major problem with Sodom & Gomorrah.
Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Over 40 years ago, I found this book of Norman Vincent Peal, called "the power of posotive thinking".
That sounded very interesting to me, so I bought it.
But I soon discovered this wasn't a christian book at all. It just sounded "christian-like".
Maybe this was what started my learning to discern the spirits whether they are of God.
And in that way, the book was beneficial for me..... To the point I remember it after so many years.
Hello Kaatje, I have heard of that book too. The teachings in the book found their way into 'positive confession/ Word Faith' type teachings in Pentecostal circles gradually until after a few years they became mainstream. God Bless :)

My unsaved mom likes Joel and watches him once in a while. His words are like cotton Candy.
He gives me the creeps and so does the size of his so-called church.

That said, I personally don’t care at all for the evangelism methods where you walk up to a person and tell them or convince them of what a sinner they are. I believe in sharing the good news and those who are ripe will become convicted of their Sin nature by the Holy Spirit as the revelation of the cross and who Jesus really is reaches their heart.
To me, the bigger and better message is that the person is separated from God because of unbelief and the Sin nature. Not because of any certain sin they have done.
Now, that said…this society of moral bankruptcy we now live in has completely lost any sense of God or any higher power even.
So we do need to take a stand for what we see is sin and not keep our mouths shut about it.

“Sinner already know they are doing wrong” -Osteen; Pastor, No they don’t!
What about these Bible passages?
Romans 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Romans 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

I am not defending Pastor Joel Osteen and don't watch him, but I do want to understand whose side he is on. For instance, something like if he were to say Jesus does not save you or something like that. When I watched him occasionally years ago I noticed that at the end of his messages he always gave an invitation to salvation. Before I say he is on Satan's side I would like to have some clear evidence.

I am pretty sure there is other evidence, but I would like to see it for myself before telling anyone he is bad and on Satan's side.

Noted and that is my MO (modus operandi, mode of operating) as well, generally. I was that way with “TULIP” and with “The Book of Enoch”. 🙂

So far based on the few videos that I have watched, Joel's biggest problem is he is unable to explain himself very well when interviewed or asked questions in general. For example, in one video they asked him if homosexuality was a sin. He responded that he believes it is based on his beliefs, but he is not the one to judge as God is. So then the interviewer says well if you think it is a sin you are judging homosexuals aren't you? Joel then fumbled trying to answer and kind of sounded like he did not know what he himself believed.

The answer is really quite simple. We Christians should not judge anyone, God's word does. Since we believe God's word, then we believe that homosexuality is a sin. As example I believe the law that the speed on the highway is 70 miles an hour. I did not judge that speed, I just believe the law that has judged that speed. So if I say someone going 90 miles an hour is speeding, that it not me judging them, I am just stating what the law says about them.

The same is true with homosexuality. I myself did not decide that homosexuality is a sin, it is what the Bible has concluded or judged. We can correctly call that God's law. So no I personally don't judge that homosexuality is a sin, I just say it is a sin based on God's law which has judged it and I believe God's law.

If you think that I or we should judge homosexuality ourselves, then what about these verses?

2 Chronicles 19:6 And said to the judges, Take heed what ye do: for ye judge not for man, but for the LORD, who is with you in the judgment.
Matthew 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Again, I am not defending Joel. I just need to see the evidence that clearly shows whose side Joel is on, Satan's or God's. If he is on God's side even just a little bit, we should not put him down and accuse him of being on Satan's side.

** If anyone has clear evidence that establishes that Joel is against God, please post a link to whatever that is. **

Thanks! 😊

Brother, I do not believe it's a question of whether Mr Osteen is against God but whether he believes men are sinners and that they need a savior and that Jesus Christ alone is that Savior. God does not wink at sin. God does not excuse sin. Rather, by means of a tremendous cost, He made a way for it to be taken care of through the sacrifice of His Son. Joel Osteen does not seem to believe any of that. He believes in a Jesus, but not the Jesus that I see in the Bible. He has some sort of faith, but not the faith that I see proclaimed in the Bible. He seems to have his focus entirely on God's love and not on God's judgment. Every presentation of the gospel in the New Testament begins with the word "Repent". To me Joel Osteen is proclaiming another gospel. And Galatians 1:8-9 tells us exactly what we should do in that case.

Victoria Osteen DENIES The Deity of Christ (she preaches at Joel's church)

The Real Reason People Listen To Joel Osteen...

[2Jo 1:7-11 NKJV]
7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ [as] coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
8 Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but [that] we may receive a full reward.
9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son.
10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him;
11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

Brother, I do not believe it's a question of whether Mr oldstein is against God but whether he believes men are sinners and that they need a savior and that Jesus Christ alone is that Savior. God does not wink at sin. God does not excuse sin. Rather a tremendous cost He made a way for it to be taken care of through the sacrifice of His Son. Joel Osteen does not seem to believe any of that. He believes in a Jesus, but not the Jesus that I see in the Bible. He has some sort of faith, but not the faith that I see proclaimed in the Bible. He seems to have his focus entirely on God's love and not on God's judgment. Every presentation of the gospel in the New Testament begins with the word "Repent". To me Joel Osteen is proclaiming another gospel. And Galatians 1:8-9 tells us exactly what we should do in that case.
As I have said I don't know what he does or does not believe. My point is I would like to see what he actually himself says, not what people think that he means. I am not at all saying this is the case, but many times if someone does not answer a question the same way someone expects, they then claim what the person does or does not believe. When I said things about a certain Pastor I also provided his video where he said that for himself, meaning it was not just my opinion.

I know that Joel does not preach on Hell or things of that nature, he himself says that. However, he does believe in Hell, just does not preach about it. The same is true with some other Pastors who only preach about Hell and damnation and not about God's love and his grace. Are we also against them? Again, Joel may truly believe all you have stated, but to be fair I need to hear what he actually says, not what people say that he says. I would expect the same about myself or even you. I am not going to think bad of you because someone says it.

Victoria Osteen DENIES The Deity of Christ (she preaches at Joel's church)

The Real Reason People Listen To Joel Osteen...

[2Jo 1:7-11 NKJV]
7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ [as] coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
8 Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but [that] we may receive a full reward.
9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son.
10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him;
11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.
Let me try to be as clear as possible. I am not defending Joel and have no reason to as I do not watch him. I am defending justice, meaning I want to hear what Joel himself says. The link you provided about his wife does make her look bad, but we are talking about Joel. Also, that was just a short clip which I agree was really bad, but I have seen where people take something out of context. Like for example, a Pastor may give an example of something they don't believe and then actually quote it during their sermon. Now someone can just show a short portion of what they said as if that is what they believed, when it was just an example of someone who did not believe it.

What I am hoping is that this exercise so to speak will get us all not to be quick to judge, not saying that anyone is. But for me or anyone reading this to judge Joel without having any information about him themselves is wrong. I am pretty sure I will end up with enough information to agree that Joel is hurting not helping Christianity, but just as the law of our land is, I would like to be fair to all not just those who I like and agree with.

In any case, thanks for what you posted, all good stuff! 👍

Just another thought... 🤔

I am not a Pastor but I guess I am a teacher of sorts. God has given me a gift to understand scripture especially regarding Grace. If you follow me you know how many things I have written about salvation being a FREE GIFT. However God did not give me the gift of understanding Prophecy, therefore you will not see me post much about that. So someone could say that since I don't teach about Bible Prophecy I should be disqualified from teaching anything at all.

So yes I know and have known for years now that Joel does not teach on things like Hell and damnation. Just because he does not teach it, does not mean he does not believe it. Now should a good Pastor teach the whole counsel of God? Of course, so I do not think he is a good Pastor. However the Bible says salvation is just by believing in and acceptance of Jesus as ones Savior. As long as Joel is presenting the correct Jesus and people are getting saved (assuming that is true), should I be against him?

Now we know for a fact that the Jehovah's Witnesses believe in a different Jesus than us also adding works as a requirement for salvation. So sure if Joel is not representing the correct Jesus, then no one is really getting saved in his congregation. However if he is presenting the correct Jesus, then people are getting saved through what he preaches.

So hopefully I can find out for myself just what Joel does and does not himself believe and if his salvation message is correct.

Gee, I wonder how this “pastor” has accumulated a net worth of approx 50 Million -oh yeah, Fleecing his followers with the “prosperity” gospel.
Really? Is that true! I don't know where he gets his money from currently, but years ago when I did watch him he did not take a salary from the church and made all his money selling his books. Whether or not you think he should get money for selling his books or not, that is not fleecing his followers.

"While Joel forgoes the megachurch pastor salary"

Back