What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet Speed Recommendations?

Ghoti Ichthus

Genesis 18:32, 2 Chronicles 7:14, Acts 5:29
Need to set up (stand-alone) internet service (no cable or satellite cuz $$$$$$$$$$$. Recommendations on speed?
Need for CCF :big grin; email, downloading movies, etc., and streaming live TV, streaming/watching movies, and uploading tax documents, homework, etc.

Internet is currently via Parents' cable. How fast is that normally?

Thank you.

In Alaska the fastest my internet ever got was about 10 MBS. Now it's about 550 MBS. I like it here...

What speeds are available to you and how much does each cost that you'd be willing to pay for? That would be useful information before giving you a sound recommendation. For example, if you could get 100 MBS for $10 a month or 200 MBS for $50 a month I'd say go for the $10 deal...

Give us bandwidth and cost options
Can't get pricing online because they "all" demand an address, name, phone, email, etc. so they can telemarket, etc., and I'm in the Safe at Home program, so have to deal with the special department/designated person that handles it for each company. Finding so far that the companies are about the same (likely collusion/price fixing)

Is there a minimum speed needed for watching a streaming movie or TV online and not having skips, jumps, pauses, digital lags, etc.?

Can't get pricing online because they "all" demand an address, name, phone, email, etc. so they can telemarket, etc., and I'm in the Safe at Home program, so have to deal with the special department/designated person that handles it for each company. Finding so far that the companies are about the same (likely collusion/price fixing)

Is there a minimum speed needed for watching a streaming movie or TV online and not having skips, jumps, pauses, digital lags, etc.?
That's interesting. Here in Cheyenne they're all upfront about both the size of the pipeline and the cost of the service. I agree with Mattfivefour, you can stream with 20 MBS. In Alaska I very rarely streamed a movie from Amazon.com. At 10 MBS sometimes it worked out, other times I gave up. For the other things you typically do, based on your post, 20 MBS is fine. More is better of course, all other things being equal, like cost of service.

In Alaska the fastest my internet ever got was about 10 MBS. Now it's about 550 MBS. I like it here...

What speeds are available to you and how much does each cost that you'd be willing to pay for? That would be useful information before giving you a sound recommendation. For example, if you could get 100 MBS for $10 a month or 200 MBS for $50 a month I'd say go for the $10 deal...
Not to derail the thread, but are you missing Alaska at all?

Need to set up (stand-alone) internet service
Currently I have unlimited data using T-Mobile ($60/mo). My iPhone doesn't use much data, meaning I can post here on CCF or X (and short emails) AND watch many YouTube things without concern (forgot, I have a subscription to The Daily Wire).

I added the Hotspot feature for $10/mo and that allows me to use my laptop (haven't got a TV) for viewing some movies. I subscribed to Dinesh d'Souze's Locals channel and he's got lots of good movies, plus Daily Wire movies are better viewed on my laptop.

I've also subscribed to Pureflix movies. Here's the odd thing, my 'unlimited' data will throttle down my data near the end of my billing cycle and it's only if I binge on Pureflix films. Weird, but those programs really suck data.

BTW, I am terribly cheap...

:thankyou: everyone.

With promotions and discounts, I ended up with 200MB, unlimited/no throttling data, and NTH extras for same or less than xfinity's basic/lower service levels, rate is locked in for two years, and no contract, so can cancel anytime without fee or penalty. I can add cable or other stuff later and the two years starts over with the same locked in rate for internet and locked-in rate for add-on(s). Already have Amazon Prime, which pays for itself in shipping, plus 5% rebate on cc at WF and Amazon, so a lot of content available and I can use a HDMI cable to play it on the TV. Have an antenna and converter box to watch local TV and whatever else it picks up for free. If I can pick up Eau Claire Channel 19 on antenna, I should be able to watch the PACKERS :) :big grin; :) :big grin; :) There's an inside antenna that claims 150+ mile range, so if the antenna I have now doesn't do it, I'll try one and see. Hudson, WI ending up in Vikings market area is such a travesty, it's criminal :mad: :tap:

Cell phone is separate, but they gave me a free nice phone, and service is locked in at same rate including fees and taxes for two years, and it's cheaper than the old cell phone company with a non-smart flip that couldn't dual authenticate when I was on the phone with the bank OR THEM :eek:

@Growing in Grace I'm cheap, too and have no problem shopping deals, asking for discounts, using coupons and cash-back, and pitting companies against each other :lol: Doing this meant my family and I ate better, and now that they're in Heaven, I'll be able to continue to eat better :)

Back