What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identifying the 24 Elders of Revelation 4

By Nathan Jones for
Christ in Prophecy

When the Apostle John was caught up to Heaven, he revealed that God’s throne does not stand alone. Rather, it is situated at the center of a circle of lesser thrones.

He wrote, “Around the throne were twenty-four thrones, and on the thrones I saw twenty-four elders sitting, clothed in white robes; and they had crowns of gold on their heads” (Revelation 4:4). John, calling himself the Elder (2 John 1:1), had met the 24 Elders, and in doing so, presented a great mystery. Just who are the 24 Elders?

The first impulse is to identify the 24 Elders as a special elevated class of angels. Such a conclusion is problematic, though. The ancient origins of angels could have certainly earned them the title Elder, but then this would have been the only time in the Bible where angels are called elders.

If not angels, could the 24 Elders be members of humanity? And, if so, which humans? Some theorize that the 24 Elders could be comprised of the 12 sons of Jacob, Israel’s tribal patriarchs, plus the 12 Apostles, with the two groups representing God’s Old and New Covenants. That configuration has a certain logic to it. But, as the last living Apostle, John’s seat should have remained vacant, yet he still counted 24 Elders present.

If not a Patriarch-Apostle combo, what about the 24 Elders being comprised of still another group of men, ones unknown to us?

More

Interesting article, but I'd like to point out an inconsistancy.
Nathan says that if 12 of the Elders were the Apostles, then his own seat should be vacant.
But he also says that they could be Christians like you and me.
So if he saw you or me, that lived far beyond John's own life-time, than he surely could be among them.
Because he would be long dead and gone before this Heavenly scene played out.

But with all that, I don't say that Nathan's conclusion must be wrong, no.
We know there will be hierarchy in Heaven, and that God counts different than we do.
Just look at the parabels of the workers in the field (Matt 20), and the talents (Matt. 25).
And also what Jesus said about a certain widow:

And‭ Jesus‭ sat‭‭ over against‭ the treasury‭, and beheld‭‭ how‭ the people‭ cast‭‭ money‭ into‭ the treasury‭: and‭ many‭ that were rich‭ cast in‭‭ much‭.‭ ‭And‭ there came‭‭ a certain‭ poor‭ widow‭, and she threw in‭‭ two‭ mites‭, which make‭ a farthing‭.‭ ‭And‭ he called‭‭ ‭unto him‭ his‭ disciples‭, and saith‭‭ unto them‭, Verily‭ I say‭‭ unto you‭, That‭ this‭ poor‭ widow‭ hath cast‭‭ more‭ in‭‭, than all‭ they which have cast‭‭ into‭ the treasury‭:‭‭For‭ all‭ ‭they‭ did cast in‭‭ of‭ their‭ abundance‭‭; but‭ she‭‭‭ of‭ her‭ want‭ did cast in‭‭ all‭ that‭ she had‭‭, ‭even‭ all‭ her‭ living‭.

So maybe the Elder could be you or me, or an old lady in a wheelchair that was "useless" in the eyes of the world, but would pray without ceasing, or any one of which the Lord testifies:

Well done‭, ‭thou‭ good‭ and‭ faithful‭ servant‭: thou hast been‭‭ faithful‭ over‭ a few things‭, I will make‭‭ thee‭ ruler‭‭ over‭ many things‭: enter thou‭‭ into‭ the joy‭ of thy‭ lord‭.‭

Interesting article, but I'd like to point out an inconsistancy.
Nathan says that if 12 of the Elders were the Apostles, then his own seat should be vacant.
But he also says that they could be Christians like you and me.
So if he saw you or me, that lived far beyond John's own life-time, than he surely could be among them.
Because he would be long dead and gone before this Heavenly scene played out.
Thank you! The same thought struck me, but I was too tired in the middle of the night to articulate it.

Back