What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Modern Church Worship Is Becoming An Idol

There's multiple reasons why cadence sung while running in military formation . . .
Inculcation of military/Command attitude/values, esprit de corps, team building, maintain cadence/step/pace, ignore pain/exhaustion, etc.

Singing combined with exhaustive hard labor/exercise is a well-known brainwashing/indoctrination technique.

Worship is big time under attack right now in the Church. Even conservative Bible Churches are adopting more of a modern contemporary style to "attract the youth." I brought this up to the Church leadership the other day and referenced the article about Elevation Church (Elevation Worship, Stephen Furtick, NC) not mentioning the resurrection, blood of Jesus, and Calvary in their Easter service because it makes people "feel like an outsider..." I asked them if they really wanted to be supporting and giving attention to an apostate ministry like that. The leadership heard my concerns and hopefully took it to heart but the following Sunday after I mentioned this, they played Bethel Music. The scary thing is Churches don't want to investigate the fruit of the worship music they are playing. Bad doctrine comes next as Satan just needs a small opening in the doorway. He was after all the worship leader in heaven at one time.​

Modern music in church makes me feel like an outsider and/or as if they're trying to push the old people out of the church. Worse, it feels as if they're trying to push Jesus, tradition, respect/reverence, the Bible, God, and even the Pastor out of church.

If a church wants a less formal service and does away with the liturgy, but still retains minimum essential elements of the service and the hymns are still traditional, OK. But when essential elements are done away with, the music/conduct is disrespectful, Law and Gospel aren't present in the sermon, a "worship leader" usurps the Pastor's role as worship leader, the band/choir/etc. usurps the focal point of the cross and altar, I have a serious problem with it.

Minimum essential elements for weekly worship (Lutheran):
Invocation
Confession of sins and absolution/announcement of Grace
Bible readings (generally comprising OT, NT, and The Gospel)
Sermon
Confession of faith (Apostle's, Nicene, or Athanasian Creed)
Prayer, including The Lord's Prayer
Holy Communion, including consecration and distribution of the elements (some churches every week, others less often)
Benediction

Offering and offertory don't appear, as many churches no longer pass a plate/basket due to online giving, mail-in donations, and/or receptacle/basket near the door or back of the Sanctuary (partially due to covid)
Hymns don't appear, as not absolutely necessary, although a lot lost when omitted, and in some places, singing/music could attract attention of persecutors

Worship is big time under attack right now in the Church. Even conservative Bible Churches are adopting more of a modern contemporary style to "attract the youth." I brought this up to the Church leadership the other day and referenced the article about Elevation Church (Elevation Worship, Stephen Furtick, NC) not mentioning the resurrection, blood of Jesus, and Calvary in their Easter service because it makes people "feel like an outsider..." I asked them if they really wanted to be supporting and giving attention to an apostate ministry like that. The leadership heard my concerns and hopefully took it to heart but the following Sunday after I mentioned this, they played Bethel Music. The scary thing is Churches don't want to investigate the fruit of the worship music they are playing. Bad doctrine comes next as Satan just needs a small opening in the doorway. He was after all the worship leader in heaven at one time.​
Hello! Good on you for raising that with church leaders. I think this is the way it will be in the last days. Many in churches are those the Lord warned us to look out for , 'wolves in sheep's clothing'. They throw in a mention of Jesus or an out of context bible verse as the sheep's clothing. Many other church leaders are seeking popularity or a steady life and will not take a stand if it will have a cost. May the Lord grant us all the courage to speak up for the truth when an opportunity arises.

Another thing I have noticed with modern 'Christian Music' is the hawkish way they enforce music copyright. You would think they would be happy for the gospel to get out there by all means. But no, it's cash first. I have noticed that other genres, folk singers and the like have a more relaxed and down-to-earth attitude to copyright. They're seemingly not in it for the money alone.

God Bless You :)

Hello! Good on you for raising that with church leaders. I think this is the way it will be in the last days. Many in churches are those the Lord warned us to look out for , 'wolves in sheep's clothing'. They throw in a mention of Jesus or an out of context bible verse as the sheep's clothing. Many other church leaders are seeking popularity or a steady life and will not take a stand if it will have a cost. May the Lord grant us all the courage to speak up for the truth when an opportunity arises.

Another thing I have noticed with modern 'Christian Music' is the hawkish way they enforce music copyright. You would think they would be happy for the gospel to get out there by all means. But no, it's cash first. I have noticed that other genres, folk singers and the like have a more relaxed and down-to-earth attitude to copyright. They're seemingly not in it for the money alone.

God Bless You :)

How sheet music, recordings, and lyrics are allowed to be used depends only partly on the publisher.
Important to understand and adhere to intellectual property law.
Fair use, royalties, etc. Differences in requirements and restrictions depending on intended use. Differences between individuals, registered non-profit churches, schools, for-profits, commercial, libraries, electronic databases, etc.

I think some churches understand the potential pschyosomatic and even psychedelic qualities of music. Extremely loud, sometimes repetitive music, designed to have those effects, often with other sensory manipulative techniques like lowering the lighting. Getting people fired up to lower their inhibitions and mental thought processes, then comes the questionable and even false teaching. I think the cranking up of the volume in music is related to the dumbing down of the biblical content in sermons. Some of the more controversial televangelists cum faith healers use techniques like musical manipulation to stir people up into a mental state where they believe they have been healed, a pschyosomatic high, which of course when reality sets in they're away from the auditorium and the spotlight.
That is a very good comment, very insightful.

One of the things that keeps me out of a normal church service now is the sensory overload because I start to get dizzy, have trouble walking and feel extremely disoriented in these loud repetitive choruses or worse yet light displays. It literally brings on all the symptoms of the MS type stuff I cope with. Now that George isn't here to drive me home fast if that starts up, I can't take the chance. I attend online every Sunday as the church our daughter and son in law goes to up in Clearwater has a live online broadcast.

The early 2000's I started to feel like church was becoming an endurance contest because of that. I knew another lady, same church who had it bring on her vertigo as well. I don't think we were the only ones.

I finally quit enduring it around 2015 or so when they started preaching that Genesis was poetry, that God allowed for evolution, no 6 day creation and that the Flood was a local event - it was Hebrew poetry that simply exaggerated the extent.

I would say you are right on the money there, connecting the dots between manipulative music techniques covering up for bad teaching.

Back