What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helpful Definitions

Z

Zephyr

I had to look these words up when I started out as a Christian. I knew they meant something about the Bible, but I wasn't sure exactly what. All of these are dictionary definitions. I hope this helps other people.

Covenant: (as applies to the Bible)
1. An agreement, usually formal, between 2 or more persons, to do or not do something specified.
2 is a legal definition
3. A solemn agreement between the members of a church to act together in harmony with the precepts of the Gospel
4. (historical refs for government)
5. (Bible) A conditional promise made to man by God, as revealed in Scripture
10. (Based on Latin references) To stipulate, to come together. (stipulate means to specify a requirement), typically as part of a bargain or agreement

Consecrate: To devote or dedicate to some purpose

Cornerstone:
1. A stone uniting 2 walls at the intersection
2.A stone representing the nominal starting place in the construction of a monumental building, usually carved with the date, and laid with appropriate ceremonies
3. Something that is indispensable, essential or basic
4. The chief foundation on which something is constructed or developed

Capstone: A finishing stone of a structure

Compassion: A feeling of deep sympathy or sorrow for another who is stricken by suffering or misfortune as accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate (bring relief) the pain, or remove it's cause.

Doctrine: A belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church

Dogma: Something considered as an established opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
Back