What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnal Christian.

Andy C

Well-known
Question:Why do I hear about ‘carnal’ Christians when Romans 8:7 says ‘the carnal mind is enmity against God’? I understand what a ‘nominal’ Christian is, but what is a carnal Christian (if there is such a thing)? Also, do you believe that only people who have given up every part of their will to Christ is a saved person, or do you think there are saved people trying to hang on to some old habit or way of life?

Answer: The Greek word translated “carnal” in Romans 8:7 is usually translated “flesh” in the King James and “sinful” or “sin nature” in other translations. It’s described as “the earthly nature of man apart from divine influence, and therefore prone to sin and opposed to God.” The phrase is often used to describe Christians who in the opinion of others are living in a sinful manner.

All humans are prone to sin because we all have a “sin nature”. And remember, sin is not just a matter of external behavior. It also permeates our very thoughts. So all it takes are carnal thoughts to be a carnal Christian. Therefore, every Christian is a carnal Christian to some degree, and will be until the rapture, when our sin nature will be removed.

If only those people who have given up every part of their will to Christ are saved then Heaven will be a very lonely place. Surveys show that the vast majority of those who call themselves born again Christians today live lives that for the most part are indistinguishable from their unbelieving neighbors. Fortunately, our salvation is based on what we believe, not on how we behave (John 6:28-29).

God in His mercy has forgiven all of our sins and because we believe that when Jesus went to the cross He paid the penalty that was due us, He no longer counts our sins against us (Colossians 2:13-14). So the old bumper sticker is true. “Christians aren’t perfect, just forgiven.”

Andy wrote:
"Fortunately, our salvation is based on what we believe, not on how we behave (John 6:28-29)"
Yes, but...
Someone may say, “You [claim to] have faith and I have [good] works; show me your [alleged] faith without the works [if you can], and I will show you my faith by my works [that is, by what I do].”(James 2:18, Ampl.)
Salvation is by faith alone...but continued ungodly behaviour without any signs of sanctification could be a concern that someones faith isn't genuine.

Also
By their fruit you will recognize them. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.…(Matth. 7:16,17)

Andy wrote:
"Fortunately, our salvation is based on what we believe, not on how we behave (John 6:28-29)"
Yes, but...
Someone may say, “You [claim to] have faith and I have [good] works; show me your [alleged] faith without the works [if you can], and I will show you my faith by my works [that is, by what I do].”(James 2:18, Ampl.)
Salvation is by faith alone...but continues ungodly behaviour without any signs of sanctification could be a concern that someones faith isn't genuine.

Also
By their fruit you will recognize them. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.…(Matth. 7:16,17)
James was not speaking of salvation faith, but speaking to saved Christians about their walk after they are saved.
James 2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
James 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

You may want to read something that I wrote below.

Not saying you did it intentionally but you left out Matthew 7:15 which is the subject of Matthew 7:16 and 7:17 which is false prophets.
Matthew 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Matthew 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

You may want to read something that I wrote below.

Salvation is by faith alone...but continues ungodly behaviour without any signs of sanctification could be a concern that someones faith isn't genuine.
Let's discuss our faith regarding our Christian walk. Most of us have read the verses below before.

Matthew 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
Matthew 6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Matthew 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Those are Jesus words commanding us the faith we should have. What percent of Christians do you really believe live that way? Sure we may strive to, but we really are concerned about our future in this world. Why? Because our faith is not strong enough, but we are saved. Now there are some missionaries that actually live totally by faith, but most Christians don't.

Back