What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exorcisms

S

spartan sprinter

I just saw a quick movie promo for Russell Crowe as "the pope's exorcist" and wondered whether the exorcists ( my understanding is that the people that go around doing this is from a catholic background) actually are successful in exorcising these demons since Catholocism is a false doctrine?

Why would demons obey these people in giving up their possession of someone?

Mark 9:38-40

And John answered Him, saying Master, we saw one casting out devils in Thy name, and he followeth us not: and we forbad him, because he followeth us not. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of Me. For he that is not against us is on our part.

This makes me pause. I know of other passages where the disciples, who obviously believed in Jesus, were unable to cast out a demon, and Jesus told them that they needed prayer and fasting to accomplish the matter. He then commanded the demon out. And yet another time when a demon mocked the exorcist attempting to cast out the demon and he responded saying that he knew who Jesus was and Paul, but had no idea who the person was trying to cast him out (Matt 17; Acts 19).

We know that there are levels within demon ranks, as there are in the ranks of angels. It is possible that the mere name of Jesus is enough, even in the mouths of unbelievers, to deal with some evil spirits while others more powerful to resist actually require the authority to enforce the invoking of His name.

I also believe that there are also those who are saved within the Catholic Church (obviously in spite of what Rome actually teaches.) The requirement for salvation in Romans 10:9-10 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Confirmation in the Catholic church does require that confession. The only thing lacking from there would be the belief

Even Martin Luther started out in the Catholic church. God called him out later. I'm not so quick to say that everyone in the Catholic church is going to hell just because they're Catholic (although the salvation through works, worship of Mary and the saints, blind faith in the pope, etc. sure isn't leading anyone to heaven.)

Thank God that He meets us where we are, then brings us to where we need to be.

I just saw a quick movie promo for Russell Crowe as "the pope's exorcist" and wondered whether the exorcists ( my understanding is that the people that go around doing this is from a catholic background) actually are successful in exorcising these demons since Catholocism is a false doctrine?

Why would demons obey these people in giving up their possession of someone?
As an aside, I'm not entirely sure that this pope doesn't need an exorcist. He certainly seems possessed with the antiChrist spirit of the age.

Thank God that He meets us where we are, then brings us to where we need to be.

AMEN!

As an aside, I'm not entirely sure that this pope doesn't need an exorcist. He certainly seems possessed with the antiChrist spirit of the age.
At first glance when I read "the Pope's Exorcist I had a moment of laughter thinking that the Pope requires occasional clean out sessions, not unlike my former work as an RN.

Here comes the Pope's personal Exorcist again, to ensure a clean clear Tuesday up ahead. Perhaps just like my former work mates cheerfully asking and how are your bowels today Pope? Any demonic activity going on? Need an exorcism? Or just a laxative?

AMEN!

At first glance when I read "the Pope's Exorcist I had a moment of laughter thinking that the Pope requires occasional clean out sessions, not unlike my former work as an RN.

Here comes the Pope's personal Exorcist again, to ensure a clean clear Tuesday up ahead. Perhaps just like my former work mates cheerfully asking and how are your bowels today Pope? Any demonic activity going on? Need an exorcism? Or just a laxative?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 i'm dead

Pastors from many different Christian denominations practice exorcisms.
The Word of God and God, Himself, trump satan and all demons. Note that the Bible says cast out demons, not ask them to leave.

14 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,
15 And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils:
Mark 3:14-15, KJV

5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
Matthew 10:5-8, KJV

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mark 16:17, KJV

The Apostle's Creed prefix/first line, usually only recited during Baptisms and conformations, is a form of exorcism:
I renounce the devil and all his works and all his ways . . .

Some churches/denominations teach that any believer can perform an exorcism, and others teach only ordained Pastors. It can be extremely intense. Far better that two or more believers (or Pastors) work together for an exorcism/deliverance.

14 And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,
15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
Matthew 17:15-21, KJV

Some Pastors and others are specially trained for deliverance ministry. Exorcisms are not something that are talked about publicly very often to afford privacy and avoid sensationalism and notariety. Even just talking about deliverance ministry in general can cause unwanted attention or derision among the lost and PC, creating a situation in which the witness could be or is impaired, especially if there have been unsuccessful exorcisms involving people, who are actually demon possessed or oppressed because tends to minimize the public perception of the efficacy of prayer, fasting, The Word, and God.

A real exorcism isn't like the sensationalized events in the movie The Exorcist. However, the movie is based on a real event that transpired in an insane asylum outside the City of Saint Louis. The building is still standing and the part of the building where the exorcism took place is closed off. There is a subterranean tunnel that used to be used to take mentally ill people from Saint Louis to the facility. At that time in history, they didn't have the knowledge and drugs we do today, so some mentally ill people could attract a lot of attention to themselves and those transporting them, and the stigma of having a mentally ill person in the family was far, far worse than it is now, so most such transports were done in the middle of the night in secret to spare the family shame, embarrassment, ostracism, loss of position or employment, etc. The building is no longer a psychiatric facility.

FWIW, some cases of some mental illnesses are demon possession or oppression, rather than mental illness. Sometimes, demon possession or oppression can cause mental illness(es). Sometimes what is thought to be demon possession or oppression is "only" mental illness. Sometimes it can be very difficult to properly diagnose what is actually wrong. Jesus, indeed, is The Great Physician!

Pastors from many different Christian denominations practice exorcisms.
The Word of God and God, Himself, trump satan and all demons. Note that the Bible says cast out demons, not ask them to leave.

14 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,
15 And to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils:
Mark 3:14-15, KJV

5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
Matthew 10:5-8, KJV

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mark 16:17, KJV

The Apostle's Creed prefix/first line, usually only recited during Baptisms and conformations, is a form of exorcism:
I renounce the devil and all his works and all his ways . . .

Some churches/denominations teach that any believer can perform an exorcism, and others teach only ordained Pastors. It can be extremely intense. Far better that two or more believers (or Pastors) work together for an exorcism/deliverance.

14 And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,
15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
Matthew 17:15-21, KJV

Some Pastors and others are specially trained for deliverance ministry. Exorcisms are not something that are talked about publicly very often to afford privacy and avoid sensationalism and notariety. Even just talking about deliverance ministry in general can cause unwanted attention or derision among the lost and PC, creating a situation in which the witness could be or is impaired, especially if there have been unsuccessful exorcisms involving people, who are actually demon possessed or oppressed because tends to minimize the public perception of the efficacy of prayer, fasting, The Word, and God.

A real exorcism isn't like the sensationalized events in the movie The Exorcist. However, the movie is based on a real event that transpired in an insane asylum outside the City of Saint Louis. The building is still standing and the part of the building where the exorcism took place is closed off. There is a subterranean tunnel that used to be used to take mentally ill people from Saint Louis to the facility. At that time in history, they didn't have the knowledge and drugs we do today, so some mentally ill people could attract a lot of attention to themselves and those transporting them, and the stigma of having a mentally ill person in the family was far, far worse than it is now, so most such transports were done in the middle of the night in secret to spare the family shame, embarrassment, ostracism, loss of position or employment, etc. The building is no longer a psychiatric facility.

FWIW, some cases of some mental illnesses are demon possession or oppression, rather than mental illness. Sometimes, demon possession or oppression can cause mental illness(es). Sometimes what is thought to be demon possession or oppression is "only" mental illness. Sometimes it can be very difficult to properly diagnose what is actually wrong. Jesus, indeed, is The Great Physician!
I heard weird things started happening to the cast members of the original exorcist movie

If I had not read a particular book about deliverance ministry before going overseas, when "stuff happened," I would not have known what was going on or what to do about it.
I'm glad that all jokes above aside, I knew about it and worked alongside other Christian nurses because there are mental illnesses and then there are possessions. And one memorable night I had one of each in the same room.

The poor person with mental illness was terrified of the other one and I don't blame her. When I went in to deal with the situation the demon spoke to me saying "I know YOU!!!" and I had to bind the thing in order to help the other 3 or 4 people including a burly muscular orderly to hold her down and get her tied back up. She flopped back on the bed out cold. The next day a friend of mine was on and cast the thing out.

These signs shall follow them that believe… they shall cast out demons.

I will not teach anything nonessential to salvation that the admin does not accept as sound doctrine. I will be stalwart on the essential on OSAS (“Once Saved Always Saved”, Eternal Security of the Believer), the things which attain to Jesus Christ (prophecies concerning Jesus), etc.

Those things which I ‘believe in’ that is not excepted I will only state ‘what’ I believe in, but will leave it there.

That said; I believe Christian’s can have a demon - but, not in their spirit where the Holy Spirit dwells.

I believe there is a great call for true exorcist’s today and more so as we draw nearer to the Rapture.

Delete this post and I will except the mod action. 🙂

I'm glad that all jokes above aside, I knew about it and worked alongside other Christian nurses because there are mental illnesses and then there are possessions. And one memorable night I had one of each in the same room.

The poor person with mental illness was terrified of the other one and I don't blame her. When I went in to deal with the situation the demon spoke to me saying "I know YOU!!!" and I had to bind the thing in order to help the other 3 or 4 people including a burly muscular orderly to hold her down and get her tied back up. She flopped back on the bed out cold. The next day a friend of mine was on and cast the thing out.
I had a similar incident with an out of control patient. I was new on that floor and was warned that the patient had to be restrained and medicated when she "acted out" and needed to be in restraints for several hours. I was alone on the floor when she started becoming very violent as my aids were downstairs having supper. I recruited two young men who happened to be delivering linen to the floor. Not their job description but they did what I ordered them to do and helped me get her into bed and restrained. After they left I quietly ordered the demon in Jesus name to leave her alone while I was the floor nurse and she immediately calmed down. The aids came back from supper and were horrified that I was taking the restraints off but we had no further problem with her that evening.

I had a similar incident with an out of control patient. I was new on that floor and was warned that the patient had to be restrained and medicated when she "acted out" and needed to be in restraints for several hours. I was alone on the floor when she started becoming very violent as my aids were downstairs having supper. I recruited two young men who happened to be delivering linen to the floor. Not their job description but they did what I ordered them to do and helped me get her into bed and restrained. After they left I quietly ordered the demon in Jesus name to leave her alone while I was the floor nurse and she immediately calmed down. The aids came back from supper and were horrified that I was taking the restraints off but we had no further problem with her that evening.
It's why I think after we leave in the Rapture, the hospitals will be bedlam. Literally. Because not only will a lot of staff be leaving (a lot of Christians are called into mercy and protection jobs- hospital work, police work, ambulance work) BUT ALSO

I don't know for sure- but I do sort of wonder when we are gone if the demoniacs will be completely out of control, because the presence of Christians in the hospitals, even if we aren't binding or casting these things out the very fact that we are there, with the Holy Spirit in us, working thru us to restrain evil means that when we are gone, the evil will be unleashed in the hospitals, ER's, psych units, jails etc.

The poor person with mental illness was terrified of the other one and I don't blame her. When I went in to deal with the situation the demon spoke to me saying "I know YOU!!!" and I had to bind the thing in order to help the other 3 or 4 people including a burly muscular orderly to hold her down and get her tied back up.

Wow! Reminds me of a night I had to stay overnight in the hospital after losing too much blood in surgery (that should have been out patient.) The other woman in the room talked, cackled, laughed, called out all night. I chalked it off to drug detox, but now I wonder.....

Back