What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Did Jesus Fold the Napkin?

Kaatje

Unto Thee I lift my eyes. Ps. 123
Staff member
Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
and the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

(John 20:6,7)

John tells us that the napkin, which was placed over the face of Jesus, was not just thrown aside like the grave clothes. The Bible takes an entire verse to tell us that the napkin was neatly folded, and was placed separate from the grave clothes.

Was that important? Yes!

To understand the significance of the folded napkin, you have to understand a bit of Hebrew tradition of that day. The folded napkin had to do with the Master and Servant, and every Jewish boy knew this tradition.

When the servant set the dinner table for the master, the table was furnished perfectly, and then the servant would wait, just out of sight, until the master had finished eating. The servant dare not touch that table, until the master was finished.

When the master was done eating, he would rise, wipe his fingers, mouth, etc. and wad up the napkin and toss it onto the table. The servant would then know to clear the table. In those days, the wadded napkin meant, ‘I’m done.’

But, if the master got up from the table, folded his napkin, and laid it beside his plate, the servant would not dare touch the table, because… The folded napkin meant, ‘I’m coming back!’

JESUS IS COMING BACK!

Marantha and Blessings

Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
and the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

(John 20:6,7)

John tells us that the napkin, which was placed over the face of Jesus, was not just thrown aside like the grave clothes. The Bible takes an entire verse to tell us that the napkin was neatly folded, and was placed separate from the grave clothes.

Was that important? Yes!

To understand the significance of the folded napkin, you have to understand a bit of Hebrew tradition of that day. The folded napkin had to do with the Master and Servant, and every Jewish boy knew this tradition.

When the servant set the dinner table for the master, the table was furnished perfectly, and then the servant would wait, just out of sight, until the master had finished eating. The servant dare not touch that table, until the master was finished.

When the master was done eating, he would rise, wipe his fingers, mouth, etc. and wad up the napkin and toss it onto the table. The servant would then know to clear the table. In those days, the wadded napkin meant, ‘I’m done.’

But, if the master got up from the table, folded his napkin, and laid it beside his plate, the servant would not dare touch the table, because… The folded napkin meant, ‘I’m coming back!’

JESUS IS COMING BACK!

Marantha and Blessings

With the folded napkin Jesus was sending a message. It wasn't there when they laid him in the tomb. Come Quickly, Lord Jesus (y)(y)

Something to think about with this is that what's glaringly missing from the tomb.....the body of Jesus in the midst of those linen wrappings! Thus testifying to His resurrection. Luke 24 focuses on Jesus' body not being there.

The cloth which was wrapped around his head, placed away from the other linens testifies to the risen Christ in that His resurrected body took that head cloth off, folded it and placed it away from the other linen wraps. The cloth didn't happen to 'fall off' while Jesus laid there or when people supposedly 'took His body away'.

And, I can't imagine that the Roman soldiers or 'thieves' would take the time to unwrap the linens from Jesus' body and then tidy up the tomb before leaving. That would be a really OCD sort of individual or some strange group of OCD individuals.

At the same time the disciples or any other follower could not have staged setting up wrappings as the Roman soldiers were guarding the tomb. We know that Jesus was dead as many witnessed His piercing with the blood and water pouring out, indicating certain physical features that accompany death, so Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea didn't foist some sort of trickery either. Besides how would a live person be able to crawl out of a linen wrap without some sort of cut to the wrap to let a person out.....which the four witnesses in the Gospel did not report seeing.

Something interesting is that other translations of God's Word say that the head covering was still wrapped, still rolled up or wrapped round and round, but placed away from the other linens, indicating that perhaps Jesus simply pulled the head covering up and off His head.

I think the biggest indicator that Jesus is coming back for His church is that the same power of God that raised Jesus up will also raise the Church up, whether from the dead to the clouds where Jesus is at, or from our earthly bodies, still alive at the time to the clouds where Jesus is at.

You know, another "fun-fact" of the folded napkin is that it totally debunks the shroud-of-Turin-myth.

Yes, the Shroud of Turin is proven to be fake by this and also that He was wound with probably 60-100 lbs of spices. The women showed up later with spices, but those were additional spices. Also the fact that they ripped out His beard and was beaten until unrecognizable.
FAKE.

Back