What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IRS urged to strip megachurch's tax-exemption after Pastor Jack Hibbs endorses Steve Garvey

1LoverofGod

Well-known
An atheist group is calling on the Internal Revenue Service to remove the tax-exempt status of a prominent Cmegachurch after video footage surfaced of its pastor endorsing a Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate from the pulpit.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation, an advocacy group that supports a staunch separation between church and state, wrote a letter to the IRS Tuesday asking the government agency to revoke the tax-exempt status of the southern California-based Calvary Chapel Chino Hills.

The letter cited comments made by Calvary Chapel Chino Hills Pastor Jack Hibbs on Sunday as the justification for the demand.

"I want to publicly right now, today, encourage all of you to vote for Steve Garvey," Hibbs told his congregation, voicing his support for the Republican former Dodgers star. "You got to vote for Steve Garvey."

Read More

This is wrong.
But I’m also glad that my pastor doesn’t endorse candidates from the pulpit.
A congregation that is spending time with the Lord, doing proper study of the Word and is not neglecting fellowship with the saints will already know who to vote for.

Since when have Christians not been allowed to participate in elections?
By endorsing someone for a public office is not a crime or unconstitutional.
For decades I've known of churches being used for voters polling places.
These antichrists are out of bounds.
And as usual the atheists use their worn out "separation of church and state" that doesn't exist in the constitution.

I'm grateful for Pastor Hibbs boldness, he's setting a good example.

But I’m also glad that my pastor doesn’t endorse candidates from the pulpit.
I can see this side too and because politics where I go to church are touchy.

When I was on FB a friend from church got angry at me and loudly said, "Enough of your posting pro-life:catfight:

I valued her friendship so didn't respond in anger. About a year later she had become pro-life.

Back