What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I find joy in the midst of trials?

1LoverofGod

Well-known
James 1:2-4 says, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

This is the very first thing James writes in his letter after his salutation. Why? Because of its import. Many Christians think once they’ve made that decision for Christ that everything will fall into place and life will be that proverbial bowl of cherries. And when trials and tough times come upon them or continue, they begin to question, “why?” Wondering how they could possibly endure horrible circumstances and consider it joy.

Peter also tackles this subject of joy through trials. “In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls” (1 Peter 1:6-9).

In both of these passages, we see the instruction of what we should do. ‘Consider it pure joy…’ ‘In this you greatly rejoice…’ Why? Because trials make us stronger. The James passage clearly states that the testing of our faith produces perseverance. And the Peter passage states that our faith, which is priceless, will be proved genuine and result in praise to God. But how? How can we find joy in the midst of all the junk, hardships, and painful circumstances?

Continue Reading:

:bible: The joy of the Lord is our strength. Satan wants us to to be depressed and oppressed . :bible:A merry heart doeth good like medicine.
Amen. I choose to focus my thoughts as much as possible on the remaining positive things in this life. On those days when I feel down, my focus shifts from today, to eternity, where all will be good. I can also spend time in His Word, and on the days when reading seems more difficult to concentrate on, its hard to feel down when watching a Jack Hibbs sermon!

Amen. I choose to focus my thoughts as much as possible on the remaining positive things in this life. On those days when I feel down, my focus shifts from today, to eternity, where all will be good. I can also spend time in His Word, and on the days when reading seems more difficult to concentrate on, its hard to feel down when watching a Jack Hibbs sermon!
I like Jack Hibbs also.

Sometimes the joy is when the trial ends, and during the trial there's little or no joy.
I’m like that — all I can do is hang on :hanging:
But yesterday I was challenged. I caught a few minutes from a sermon on the radio while I was driving. The pastor described joy as a consistent presence when a believer has matured enough to allow the truth that God gives us joy to rightly overcome our emotions & thinking.

It makes sense. We know our circumstances aren’t our source of joy, but unhappy emotions stir up thoughts of worry & fears. Normally I try to reign in the thoughts through journaling & prayers. I can get exhausted wrestling with emotions.

I think I’ll try to follow the pastor’s advice today.

I’ll let you know how it goes :hug:

Back