What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How 2 of biggest tech companies are secretly helping governments spy on your smartphone

1LoverofGod

Well-known
Two of the biggest tech companies have confirmed the government and foreign agencies can spy on you using your smartphone.
And they're likely helping.

Oregon Sen. Ron Wyden wrote a letter to the Justice Department last Wednesday revealing unidentified foreign governments are asking Apple and Google for push notification data on you.
That data can contain your personal information.

According to a Reuters report, the U.S. government is likely spying on you, too. They spoke to a source who they say is close to the subject. That unnamed source claims federal agencies have asked both companies for push notification metadata.

If you own a smartphone, you have probably received a push notification. It's the alert you receive on your phone when you get a text message, a new email or an update from your favorite mobile game.

More

I don't worry too much. They are welcome to listen in to the sermon I'm watching, or birdwatching YouTube videos with me. If they want to check out what I'm reading they are welcome to read along with me. If they want to sell me something using targeted ads, good luck with that. I know what I like and seldom vary.

The Mark of the Beast system is coming, Big Brother will be watching, using the very algorithms it learns now. I can't prevent the Tribulation saints from that trouble, it's coming regardless of what I do or don't do. They are the ones who should worry.

But I cannot stop or change the times that God has set for these things to come to pass. They are on His timetable and will come to pass regardless of whether I stop using my smart phone.

There is a cost to everything from smart phones/computers (less privacy) to not using smart phones/computers (no online grocery shopping) and now it's getting harder and harder to live without a cell. That can cost you too.

An old friend of mine won't do a smart phone, and recently her bank made a number of unasked for changes on her bank account. When she went in to complain and find out why, they swore up and down they'd notified her cell phone via text. She has a dial up old fashioned telephone. They didn't believe her and finally had to admit they must have a liar for an employee because Helga could prove she has no text savvy phone. If she hadn't checked her statements every month (mailed as always) she'd have been in trouble.

Taxes is another area that is getting more difficult here in Canada if you don't do online banking and taxes.

We are being herded into an unpleasant future but as always our future is in God's Hands.

So that's why a lot of stuff that was previously separated suddenly got linked when I got a smartphone last fall :mad: Even stuff that doesn't have anything to do with my phone number and doesn't do dual authentication :mad:

AI again [sigh]

Whatever . . . if The Lord tarries, I suspect I'll be one of the first to get rounded up, anyway. So what, maybe that also means I get to see Jesus face-to-face that much sooner :bliss: :hyper: :bouncies: :hyper: :bliss:

We still do not have smart phones, and my old flip phone will connect to the net but I don't need or want that or the expense of it. If something fishy is going on with our bank accnt we get a text to call the bank asap, I do all the banking online on laptop and check every day for transactions and we have a service to monitor anyone filing for credit/loans in our name and they call and text when something shows up. Probably the most high tech financial item we have is a credit card that you can just tap on a screen to pay for what you are purchasing, and when we use it we pay it off / no payments/plans.

I don't have email set up on my phone.
The only push notification enabled on my phone is the government-mandated SAME Presidential message and tornado that can't be disabled. However, since location has been both disabled and blocked, might not get tornado warning on my phone. That's for the weather radio. And paying attention when out and about.
The phone rings and I get a little noise when a text comes in when the phone's not on do not disturb (rarely, now), but that's it.

Apps are nice to kill time in a waiting room, etc., but not absolutely necessary. Very convenient for the Bible and hymnal in church and Bible Study, although Bible study is a lot easier on a computer or hard-copy books. Good for storm chasing until cell signal lost, but those are only on when using, and location has to be enabled then. Local weather and news doesn't have or need location on.

Even though the new cell phone company bill is a little cheaper than the old cell phone company, it's a lot of money just to be able to dual authenticate my identity to get in my bank account, pay my long-term care insurance, and communicate with the cell phone company :mad: I would have been perfectly fine keeping my cheap 3G flip phone if they hadn't disabled 3G, and even the 5G flip phone if they hadn't gotten rid of the capability to read a text while on the phone to facilitate dual authentication :mad: Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad cell phone company and government regulators :mad:

Back