What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

God Will Get the World’s Attention :: By Howard Green

Andy C

Well-known
We live in a day when it’s hard to get someone’s attention. Research indicates a person’s average attention span is 8.25 seconds, which is 4.25 seconds less than in the year 2000. One common denominator in diminished attention spans is the constant bombardment of information via the internet, social media, and smartphones. People have become so distracted that getting or maintaining their attention is nearly impossible.

As people are exposed to increasing levels of graphic images and entertainment, society as a whole is going through a desensitizing process. As a result, we’re collectively losing our sense of fear and urgency about situations that should get our attention and response. Jesus warns us about the days ahead getting so bad that people’s hearts will fail them because of fear of what’s coming. God will get the world’s attention (Luke 21:26).

I’ve preached the gospel in ministry settings and on the streets. The glaring difference between the two is the response of the people, who generally want to hear the truth in a Christian fellowship. But in the public square, they range from apathetic to dismissive and sometimes hostile to our message. When I preach the good news, it should get the attention of people who pass by. Instead, the overarching response is avoidance.

Over time, I’ve learned this ignoring has less to do with the distraction of earbuds and smartphones and everything to do with a general lack of fear of God. When you tell them, “God’s wrath is coming,” they won’t accept it because they have a distorted view of God.

Back