What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cicadas 2024: 2 broods will emerge in multiple states for first time in over 200 years

Kaatje

Unto Thee I lift my eyes. Ps. 123
Staff member
These insects are known for the screaming noise they make and for numbering in the millions.

This year two different groups, or broods, of cicadas will emerge across multiple states with one singular goal: mating and laying millions more eggs.

After 13 years, Brood XIX is set to emerge in the spring of 2024 in 14 states across the Southeast and Midwest, and the 17-year Brood XIII will emerge in five Midwestern states around the same time, according to Cicada Mania. This double emergence is the first time this has happened in 221 years. According to ScienceAlert.com, this won't happen again until 2245.
Of all the states where the broods will emerge this year, they are expected to overlap in Illinois and Indiana.

With all those insects, the birds should be well-fed and so reproduce abundantly :)
Maybe make up for so many song birds and others getting killed by wind turbines and chemicals :)

FWIW, grasshoppers have about 35 percent more fat than cows, so BIGPharma will cash in on people having higher lipid counts :mad:

I hear that sound all year long, Tinnitus :( another thing I will not miss we we go home 🙂
I also have tinnitus. A low frequency hum with a vibration/buzz that I can actually feel in my left ear. Just recently I discovered that taking 1000 mg of L-lysine once a day decreases the severity of it.It’s still there but tolerable and the physical buzzing feeling (which is the worst) is gone. (my sincere apologies if you have already tried this. I know how annoying it is when people give advice and “cures.”)
And yes so looking forward to those silent times in Heaven when all we hear are birds tweeting. Soon!!!!

Cicadas are LOUD. I kind of like them sometimes. They are like little sound machines.

I also have tinnitus. A low frequency hum with a vibration/buzz that I can actually feel in my left ear. Just recently I discovered that taking 1000 mg of L-lysine once a day decreases the severity of it.It’s still there but tolerable and the physical buzzing feeling (which is the worst) is gone. (my sincere apologies if you have already tried this. I know how annoying it is when people give advice and “cures.”)
And yes so looking forward to those silent times in Heaven when all we hear are birds tweeting. Soon!!!!

Cicadas are LOUD. I kind of like them sometimes. They are like little sound machines.
At night I'd rather be by a lake or any water body and listen to various species of frogs, their songs vary and have changes in pitch, but the tinnitus for me is a constant high pitch chorus, occasionally maybe 3-4 times a year I get a type fluttering sound always in left ear loud enough that I duck is that possibly similar to your hum/buzz?

At night I'd rather be by a lake or any water body and listen to various species of frogs, their songs vary and have changes in pitch, but the tinnitus for me is a constant high pitch chorus, occasionally maybe 3-4 times a year I get a type fluttering sound always in left ear loud enough that I duck is that possibly similar to your hum/buzz?
No, not a fluttering…It’s a rhythmic hum, with a vibration…a lot like when you hear those cars with the super loud speakers and the bass turned up to such a level that the whole car vibrates. Except it’s in my ear.
I love frogs 🐸❤️
That fluttering you get sounds startling!

That fluttering you get sounds startling!
The first few times I heard it I thought some low flying thing was about to hit me, like a kids helicopter, or an out of control Dragon Fly which I love. But I get that sound now even in the house, sometimes I wake up to it, it is startling thinking something almost hit you and maybe landed in the bed :oops: For about a year now I get that sound a little less maybe 3-4 times a year or less and the last couple times I just ignored it, now something probably will hit me :p and some of those cicadas do not have the best flight plan, some are quite erratic and if they get in a woman's hair , oh boy catch that on video!

Noisy Cicadas Drive South Carolina County Residents to Call Police​

As trillions of cicadas noisily emerge from their nests all over the country, residents of one South Carolina county have had enough. They’re calling their local police to find out why their pastoral peace and quiet is being disrupted by intrusive sirens or a loud roar.

AP reports the Newberry County Sheriff’s Office sent out a message on Facebook letting people know Tuesday the incessant whining sound is just lonely male cicadas singing to attract mates after more than a decade of being dormant.

Some people have reportedly even flagged down deputies to ask what the noise is all about, Newberry County Sheriff Lee Foster said.

Back