What's new
Christian Community Forum

Welcome to Christian Community Forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ATF Rule Forces Background Check System into Private Gun Sales

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Staff member
A proposed rule from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) will soon take effect, forcing many private gun sellers to use the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to sell their guns.

The targets of this rule are not licensed federal gun dealers, as they are already required to use the NICS on every gun sale and/or transfer.

But the recently proposed rule does what Congress has refrained from doing by allowing the ATF to set its sights on private, non-licensed Americans who may sell guns at some time throughout any given year the way Americans have been selling guns to one another since 1791 (the year the Second Amendment was ratified).

If I had a firearm and I wanted to sell it, I would ignore this rule, which I guess would make me a criminal.

Back